« 1 2 (3)
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 2/9 20:04
Re: General advice for planting my tank! #21
It takes a huge amount of plants to have an impact on nitrate level....you'd need many fast growing stem plants, so many you'd barely see the fish. What can help is floating plants like salvinia which does suck up a fair bit of nitrate if you have plenty of it. But as your tap level is low, you really need to figure what it is that's raising the level so much in the tank. Have you tested the tap water recently? The level can vary in some areas, especially agricultural areas where fertiliser gets washed into the water courses from time to time.
Fishyfishfish Fishyfishfish
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 4/9 10:38
Re: General advice for planting my tank! #22
I’ve tested the tap water this morning and it’s 20 on the chart.

We live in a residential area in town and as far as I can remember the nitrate levels are always around this level.

I took your advice and removed as much of the Cyanobacteria as I could then did a large water change and left the light off for three days and didn’t feed the fish either.

I turned the light on this morning and there were five or six areas of the sand where I could still see it so I have removed the rest of it, should I leave the light off for a further three days?

Thanks for your help so far it does seem to be working.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 4/9 14:06
Re: General advice for planting my tank! #23
Sorry I wasn't clear in my previous post. You need to remove the existing cyanobacteria and then black out completely for three days by covering the tank with a heavy blanket or black bin bags etc., so there is no light at all.