« 1 (2) 3 »
roobaloo roobaloo
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 29/8/2021 12:03
Re: Ich? #11
Fantastic, thank you!
I have another (bad) photo of the Molly, if it helps diagnosis - she lost a race for a piece of food and paused! I was stood up so it’s warped through the glass…

Either way, eSHa EXIT is now in the water

Attach file:

jpeg  23838_612b696c7ce4e.jpeg (1,362.88 KB)
23838_612b696c7ce4e.jpeg 2266X1736 px
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 29/8/2021 12:08
Re: Ich? #12
It look like she has excess slime coat and possibly some ich spots so Esha Exit is the best treatment (IMO).
roobaloo roobaloo
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • Posted on: 31/8/2021 11:01
Re: Ich? #13
Just added the 3rd dose. The spots have faded to little more than a scuff (perhaps only noticeable as she’s matt black) but she’s not good. She’s spending most the day in her normal sleeping spot, down at the back of the tank hidden behind a rock.
She’ll pop up when she hears me speak and drifts forward for food, but after a few seconds, she drifts off again. She is still taking the food but only the easy bits, she’s not joining in the usual fray to scoff it all or the hoovering up session after.
She has moments of normal, if slightly sedate, behaviour but it’s like she’s fatigued… the moments are short lived then she goes to rest. She’s currently resting on top of the filter outlet nozzles. She reminds me of Mango - looking like she’s going flat out - fins, gills etc - just to stay stationary. All the other fish are business as usual.

I’ve reduced the lighting to allow her to rest and added an air stone, probably more for my own peace of mind really.

As she’s still not herself, is it best to do the prolonged dose of EXIT?

I’ve got the Aquadur arriving today, is it ok to add with treatment in the water (as in, remove some water, mix and return it to the tank) or should I wait until the medication is finished and slowly increase the water hardness with a series of water changes?
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 31/8/2021 18:48
Re: Ich? #14
I would do the extended course and leave changing the hardness until after that is done.
roobaloo roobaloo
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • Posted on: 1/9/2021 10:53
Re: Ich? #15
Thank you

I left the tank alone this morning until it was time to dose, so no to disturb her as I thought she was dead yesterday evening - lying on the gravel, fins all still… I moved away to get a net and when I looked back, she’d moved. Couldn’t see where she went but she obviously didn’t want to be seen.

She appeared when I approached made a half hearted attempt to get some food then drifted off again. She’s got at least 2 new spots forming. I added the medication and she burst into action. Shot around the tank briefly, then seemed to be trying to rub herself on the stones and gravel. She once more shot up to the top (not quite to the surface) and it was like someone turned her battery off and she just drifted down to the bottom and lay on the gravel, propped up against the side of the tank. After about 10 seconds, she drifted off to her hiding spot again.

Is there anything else I can do for her?
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 1/9/2021 14:22
Re: Ich? #16
There's nothing more you can do other than finish the course of medication and then harden the water, sadly.
roobaloo roobaloo
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • Posted on: 1/9/2021 14:48
Re: Ich? #17
How long does it take to start to recover from Ich? I know most treatments talk about weekly courses so it’s obviously not a quick process but my only experience was Mango but she had more severe problems.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 1/9/2021 17:18
Re: Ich? #18
There's usually some improvement over the course of treatment and all spots gone by the end of the extended term, if not sooner.
roobaloo roobaloo
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • Posted on: 1/9/2021 20:59
Re: Ich? #19
She died this evening

As the extended treatment was for her, I assume it’s ok to just stop now? I’d like to do a thorough clean and a water change tomorrow and the rest of the tank are bright, active, with no signs of anything.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 1/9/2021 21:53
Re: Ich? #20
Sorry to hear that Yes, as the other fish are not showing symptoms you can go ahead with your maintenance.