TaliaLondon TaliaLondon
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 20/7 11:02
Snail treatment killing fish #1
I’ve got platy fry in a 70 litre tank. I ran esha snail treatment through and most of them died :( So I didn’t run it a second time to get the eggs and now have snails again.

I need to get my platys out the main tank into this tank so I’ve ordered a divider, but need rid of the snails first. Was and am still so devastated I killed most of the babies I saved from being eaten.

How can I get rid of the snails for certain without uncycling the tank? Otherwise my platys are going to end up in a tub with no filter as they really have to come out of the main tank in the next 24 hours, I keep having to put treatments through the main tank because of them, and now it’s impacting my other fish. The reason they are vulnerable to disease is the GH is too low in there. They don’t seem to do well below 15, but that tank is at 10. Tap water is about 16.

Everytime I put treatment through the cycle crashes which lowers the immunity of the other fish. I’m in a never ending cycle of slowly killing my fish with overmedicating and bad water quality. So regardless they are 100% coming out even if it means they end up in a 50 litre plastic crate with no filter. I will do large daily water changes for them in a tub but next week it’s going to get cold again as I won’t be able to put a heater in the tub as it will melt it.

Thanks
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 20/7 11:22
Re: Snail treatment killing fish #2
Esha Gastropex shouldn't kill fish or affect the cycle, but death of the snails could have caused ammonia and/or nitrite to spike. It's very important when using a snail treatment to remove the dead snails immediately to prevent this form happening.
TaliaLondon TaliaLondon
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 20/7 11:59
Re: Snail treatment killing fish #3
Thanks but there’s been no ammonia spike in this tank - I checked daily after adding the treatment and the snails were removed every couple of hours. The filter was cleaned out after also to remove any. They came in on a sponge I took from a friends filter.

The platys have to be moved immediately from the tank they are causing illness in to this tank, as they are weakening all my other fish. I CANNOT have snails spreading from tank to tank again like I did once before. If I leave them this is what happens eventually, and when you’ve got a lot of tanks it’s a living hell.

How do I get rid of the snails completely without breaking the tank down?

The platy babies were doing fine until I added the Esha treatment. Gutted.

Thanks