ClaireR ClaireR
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 2/7 15:21
White Cloud Minnows dying of? #1
Hi,
Joined this site as I am hoping some of the fish keeping veterans will be able to help. So I am very new to keeping fish, I got a 12l tank ( yes I am aware it is probably too small, I fell into that same pets@home trap where they tell u that 12l tank is enough for 6 WCMM). So I have had this tank for about 2.5 months now, had an ammonia spike which I managed also was battling with hard water at first. And after all that initial craze everything was fine until one of my pretty minnows stopped eating, stayed in the corner by the filter then just swam weirdly around the bottom of the tank. Then of course suddenly and drastically died. Now I am noticing some of similar behaviour in another one along with discolouration, as in its becoming pale, just kinda bobbing near the bottom and not eating. At first I thought maybe they aren't getting enough oxygen (installing pump with an air stone today), but I lost the first fish about 2 days ago and now another one is behaving weird. I am worried that maybe they are ill? Infected somehow? I bought all of my fish, 2 shrmip and 2 snails from the same shop (idk if that is even relevant). If anyone has any idea of how I can save my fish, what is wrong with them or any tips please help.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 2/7 16:39
Re: White Cloud Minnows dying of? #2
Please post current test results for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH.
ClaireR ClaireR
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 3/7 1:34
Re: White Cloud Minnows dying of? #3
Thanks for replying!
Ph is at 7.5
NO3 at 40 (ppm (mg/L) - thts what it measures on the testing strips (was at 0 this morning but I did just feed them idk if tht makes a difference)
NO2 at 0
KH at 80
Gh at 0

Just installed an air pump and the fish that is acting strange seems to be swimming around more. Also added some salts.
The affected fish seems paler than earlier though :(
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 3/7 16:06
Re: White Cloud Minnows dying of? #4
Unfortunately the strip tests don't include the vital ammonia test and are notoriously inaccurate, as seen from the way your nitrate reading jumped from 0 to 40: that's not actually possible and is the inherent inaccuracy of the strip test. Get a liquid -based test kit like this one a.s.a.p. : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/35349645966 ... 07e98c:g:HxMAAOxyshFRfL6N but in the meantime start changing 50% of the water daily as the most likely cause of the symptoms is poor water quality.

The tank is way too small for fish, and it presumably only has a small filter which just won't be able to cope with their output, hence my suggesting daily partial water changes. If you can upgrade, get a 60 litre tank as that's the minimum required for a shoal of minnows. Used tanks can be had for very little on eBay etc.

As soon as you get your liquid tests post results here for further advice.