Trixiepre Trixiepre
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 20/4 11:46
Goldfish with missing tail #1
We have a long established garden pond with a mix of large Koi and some large gold fish. Recently someone we know was emptying a pond and asked if we would take their large goldfish. We said yes and they transferred them in. No problems there only we noticed one goldfish was really small, like you buy in the pet shop small.

We tried to catch it but the pond is about 5ft deep so didn’t manage it.

Anyway a few weeks later and we have now found the gold fish in the filter. He has had his tail bitten off by one of the larger fish.

We have taken him out and popped him in my daughters tank which has one small goldfish in. My question is can a fish survive this?

His tail is gone. You can actually see the tail bones. He managed to stay up right and is eating. He’s not that active but I’m guessing he’s exhausted as if he relaxes he flips over. I’ve also had to move the tank filter as he’s got stuck next to it a few times.
Any tips on giving him the best chance to survive? Would be nice if we can save him.
Trixiepre Trixiepre
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 20/4 12:17
Re: Goldfish with missing tail #2
The fish.

Attach file:

jpeg  23891_607eb82c82646.jpeg (3,008.25 KB)
23891_607eb82c82646.jpeg 4032X3024 px
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 20/4 17:11
Re: Goldfish with missing tail #3
He can possibly survive this and grow back his tail. The best thing you can do for him is keep the water very, very clean. If the damaged area starts to look at all infected (red and inflamed or fluffy growths) treat with Esha 2000.
Trixiepre Trixiepre
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 21/4 13:56
Re: Goldfish with missing tail #4
Well that’s promising thank you. I have treated the water with anti fungal treatment just as a precaution. He seems to be doing well so far and is active and eating. Fingers crossed 🤞
Erol20 Erol20
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 21/4 22:34
Re: Goldfish with missing tail #5
Oh no, poor fish!

Hope it pulls through. Keep us posted.