tinkerbella tinkerbella
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 19/3/2021 23:31
new fish - is this okay? #1
So, I've had platy fish before a few years ago and had four of them and one lived for around 2 years and then the rest seemed to drop off up until around the 3rd and a half year. Seemed healthy and happy and was never sure why they died but just assumed that their lives were coming to an end as didn't know how long they were in a pet shop for. I don't like to take the pet shops advice really as I don't think I can judge what they are saying based off of how they keep their fish!

Its been quite a few years and I have forgotten what can go with what and what is acceptable and I honestly just want the best!! I am going for maybe 2/3 platys (as not sure on tank sizes). I used to have one that could happily keep 4 but don't know if I can find it and will probably buy a new one. I don't have very much money at the moment, enough to be responsible, but not enough to spend a lot so I was wondering what is an acceptable (smallish but not cramped, enough obviously) size I could buy for them.

Food, I used to use the Love Fish one and they seemed fine but now I've read more online it says they need more variation. I used to put a pea in their tank every so often but other than that did nothing else. Is there any other food (preferably already in labelled jars, tins) that I need? Not a big fan on the live food but then again will do anything for them to be happy.

Also regarding plants, decorations etc, is it okay just to buy those type of fake ones? Was thinking of a moss ball but have no clue whether that is safe or not.

A lot to take in I know! Just really need some responsibility back into my life as lockdown has left me a bit disorientated, I feel like I need something else to care for (besides my dog who is basically a human :) ) Really happy to adjust all this within my small budget too :)
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 20/3/2021 10:41
Re: new fish - is this okay? #2
Hi and welcome,

To answer your questions:

The minimum tank size for platys is 60 litres (2ft x 1ft x 1ft).

The LoveFish food is fine, but try to vary it with another brand, and maybe the occasional frozen brine shrimps or bloodworm.

Artificial decorations are OK if that's what you prefer, but live plants can help to a certain extent with water quality.

Don't forget to do a fishless cycle (see this article: https://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles ... hless-cycling-article.htm ) before getting fish.
tinkerbella tinkerbella
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 20/3/2021 22:28
Re: new fish - is this okay? #3
Okay! Sounds good. Just wondering how long before I get the fish will I have to start the fishes cycle? Does it take a week or two? Or like a day as don't know when to do this and need to have the right window to introduce the fish!
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 20/3/2021 23:06
Re: new fish - is this okay? #4
A fishless cycle with ammonia takes about 3-4 weeks