FS_Horror FS_Horror
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 11/3 17:13
Aggressive black phantom tetras! #1
I have a tank with 3 platys(and 4 big babies) and 4 neon tetras. About a couple of weeks ago I added 4 black phantom tetras 1 male 3 females. But one of the Females is really aggressive and its always the same one. All my neon's now hide at the back of the tank as well as all the other black phantoms. The platys usually stay at the top of the tank so they are fine and the baby's don't really get bothered either (There quite big now). This is confusing me because I would expect The male to be aggressive if any! I thought they where community fish. Today I noticed that the aggressive ones dorsal fin now seems to be Split witch is confusing because that's the one being aggressive and all the other ones don't seem to have any damaged fins. I am sure its female because It has very distinct red whereas the male dose not. I didn't have any problems before adding them in and cant seem to be able to find much online about this. I have the black phantoms for just under a month. Any help about what could be causing this?
Edit: Somethings the male will fan out his fins towards the aggressive female exactly like I have seen with 2 male black phantoms.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 11/3 18:16
Re: Aggressive black phantom tetras! #2
The issue may be the small size of the group. If your tank is big enough I would add another 4 to 6 and see if that clams her down.
FS_Horror FS_Horror
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 11/3 18:34
Re: Aggressive black phantom tetras! #3
ye i dont really think my tank it big anought to be honest. Would maybe taking her out help or would that make it worse??? is there anyway changing up the plants might help?
FS_Horror FS_Horror
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 12/3 16:50
Re: Aggressive black phantom tetras! #4
has anyone got any other advise?
playsander playsander
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Posted on: 13/3 12:57
Re: Aggressive black phantom tetras! #5
I think fish lady is correct. Its probably the small size of the group. Tetras should ideally be in a group of 6+. 10 would be perfect. Not helpful in your situation but knowledge for the future.
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 13/3 18:09
Re: Aggressive black phantom tetras! #6
What size is the tank (dimensions and volume)? That will likely determine whether you could have more - the most likely way of resolving the issue.
Yes, you could try putting her in a separate tank for a while if you have one, using a small portion of filter media from the main tank, and see how the others get on with her not there. You could re-arrange the decor and see if that helps for when she returns as a newbie to "their" tank.
playsander playsander
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Posted on: 14/3 14:02
Re: Aggressive black phantom tetras! #7
Quote:

fcmf wrote:
What size is the tank (dimensions and volume)? That will likely determine whether you could have more - the most likely way of resolving the issue.
Yes, you could try putting her in a separate tank for a while if you have one, using a small portion of filter media from the main tank, and see how the others get on with her not there. You could re-arrange the decor and see if that helps for when she returns as a newbie to "their" tank.

Good idea if another tank is available.