Fishytale Fishytale
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 31/1 20:14
Fish cycling cock-up! #1
Evening all, I am a complete newbie so be gentle!
I am trying to cycle a 60l tank. Initially I bought and used tetra safestart. I left the tank for a couple of days and then tested and didn’t have any readings for ammonia nitrites or nitrates. I then read the article on this site in regards to fishless cycling and realised that I have no idea what I’m doing. I decided to start the cycling using the ammonia method thinking that the tetrastart didn’t work. A week later (today I tested for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates and the results are as follows 4ppm, 0ppm 4ppm. These results have confused me completely as I was expecting only the ammonia to give a result. What do I do now as it seems that the tetrastart has worked. I would appreciate some advise.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 31/1 23:06
Re: Fish cycling cock-up! #2
It's possible you have nitrate in your tap water (most of the UK does - mine is 40ppm). Test your tap water and get back to us on that. If your ammonia is at 4ppm (assume that's what you dosed) then the cycle isn't happening as yet, as ammonia would go down if the right bacteria were growing.
Fishytale Fishytale
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 1/2 13:19
Re: Fish cycling cock-up! #3
Thanks. Your right. I’ve just tested my tap water. It’s 4ppm. I won’t give up my day job! 😂 I did test the tap water at the start of the process and got 0ppm. I must of made a mistake with the test kit. God help the fish when I eventually add them to the tank - I shouldn’t be allowed to keep a plant, let alone fish 🤣🤣🤣
Couldbebetta Couldbebetta
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 11/3 20:50
Re: Fish cycling cock-up! #4
Are you adding bacteria? I used seachem stability and it supported the system to cycle within a few days. I dosed it for 7 days. I now have two.well cycled tanks.. however like an idiot, I added the wrong ferts and now have a nice nitrate spike..

Good luck!