« 1 2 (3)
Lil2606 Lil2606
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 1/2 19:48
Re: Very high Nitrite (2-5ppm) and Nitrate (Above 80-160ppm), 0.5 Ammonia - Fish in the tank #21
Here they are both

Attach file:

jpg  23581_60185aebccfb4.jpg (3,470.60 KB)
23581_60185aebccfb4.jpg 4032X3024 px
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 1/2 22:23
Re: Very high Nitrite (2-5ppm) and Nitrate (Above 80-160ppm), 0.5 Ammonia - Fish in the tank #22
Pretty fish
Lil2606 Lil2606
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Posted on: 2/2 12:35
Re: Very high Nitrite (2-5ppm) and Nitrate (Above 80-160ppm), 0.5 Ammonia - Fish in the tank #23
Thank you. Yeah you can see they are stressed out, the black dot by their tail completely disappears when they are freaked out.
On this last picture, can you see the gills of the boy are quite red... and on the first picture the tiny white(ish) spots on the girl's tail fin? They are the same as when she arrived no new ones and not going away... what could it be, if not ich? And on the second picture the white(ish) patch on the girl's stomach.. It looks like she lost some scales from there...

They are in the little tank with the carbon filter back in it, I did a temp check as well, and its around 22Celsius, which is actually warmer than I thought... and I realize I'm being stupid, instead of trying to up the temps in both tanks with 1 heater, I can transfer them over with both tanks being on room temp and then just slowly raise the temp in the big tank.

Big tank now shows 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites, so its ready, I thought it would take a couple more days.. I'll add some fish food in it today, hopefully it will be enough to feed the bacteria until Tomorrow afternoon, and I can move them over then. They are in the carbon filtered water since yesterday evening so that's 24 hours today evening, and nearly 48 tomorrow afternoon / evening (after work) I'll leave them to settle in, and then I'll start medicating them again on the weekend, when I can keep a closer look on them. I hope the Esha Meds will make them feel better, whatever it is that's making them poorly at the moment...
Lil2606 Lil2606
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Posted on: 12/2 19:37
Re: Very high Nitrite (2-5ppm) and Nitrate (Above 80-160ppm), 0.5 Ammonia - Fish in the tank #24
Update on this.

Rosy-s are safely in the big tank, water quality is excellent all the way. They eat, they swim, but they are still a bit skittish, no where near the same behaviour as before. I think group size will help with that. Which is what I'm working on.

Little tank's been left to cycle but I moved the mature sponge (I used to colonise the big tank) back into it last week, and water quality was perfect this morning, so I bought some new fishy in lunch time, and they are now in this tank quarantining.

The 2 Rosys in the big tank were treated with a triple combo of Esha meds. 2000, Exit, and Gdex. They seem well, except......... The boy has ragged fins, which looks like fin-rot to me, which is strange that he is getting it DURING / AFTER he had treatment against it, so I'm thinking its stress induced. The girl still has the 5 spots, they did not go away no matter what, but they are also not spreading. Says me but actually I do see 1 spot on the boy as well now. 1! for days. Not growing, not spreading. Further research points to Epistylis, which is an organism that feeds and lives on bacteria and just opportunistically live on the fish. Problem is that it makes them more prone to bacterial infections, on which bacteria (spreading on the fish) the epistylis 'feeds on' so research says, salt baths or antibacterial food. Looking into the second option, and in the mean time they are getting a bit of additional Esha 2000, they are looking well, and eating well, in fact I'm quite sure my boy has grown a lot. So I am not awfully concerned (yet) just aware of the issue and looking into resolving it.