Anonymous  
Platy fry #1
Hi,I'm after some advice on my tank situation...i only have a 64 litre tank as im new to fish keeping, i set the tank up approx a month ago & just last week started to stock fish
I only got 6 red platys only to find literally the next morning one of them had fry which was approx 30ish!
Back to the fish shop to buy a maternity net & they are all doing well!
That all said,I'm worrying about the bigger picture & don't know what to do after 6 weeks when they can be released into the tank as i believe the tank will be overstocked,also it is starting to affect the levels of ammonia & nitrite & the water is slightly misty,i have a 'eheim pickup 160' filter system in the tank so ample for the size
I think I'm doing everything right as in removing uneaten food & waste & only feeding every other day but am unsure of the next move i need to make,so thought I'd ask the experts
Please help!
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 29/1 11:39
Re: Platy fry #2
Hi

Firstly, you say you set the tank up a month ago. What did you do in that time to cycle the tank?
Anonymous  
Re: Platy fry #3
I set it all up & ran it empty apart from the obvious sand,plants & ornaments & added denitrol bacteria daily
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 29/1 13:23
Re: Platy fry #4
OK - so basically this means your tank is not cycled. To cycle the tank you would have needed to add ammonia daily over a long period until such time as the bacteria were able to process it all in 24 hours. Just adding bacteria won't have done anything as they had no ammonia to feed on. You're now cycling "fish in" as evidenced by the cloudiness and the rise in ammonia and nitrite. Unfortunately, this is a real threat to the fish and you will need to do large water changes daily until the cycle establishes (i.e when you stop seeing any ammonia or nitrite). Use this guide to a fish-in cycle to help you: https://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles ... ammonia-nitrite-spike.htm