Nunciata Nunciata
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 22/1 14:59
Cyanobacteria scourge #1
Anyone know how to get ahead of this goo? I’ve been fighting this gelatinous growth for some time. I do 50% water changes weekly.

I have to say this tank has never cycled. I’ve had my betta in this tank since last July. It was well planted until the bacteria started covering the plants. Some plants are still in the tank but they have been drastically pruned. The ammonia level is rarely above .25 ppm. But I’ve never seen any nitrites or nitrates readings above zero.

I use bottled spring water instead of tap water. I haven’t ever added any fertilizer for the plants.

Any advice on how to get past this would be much appreciated.

Thank you.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 22/1 18:57
Re: Cyanobacteria scourge #2
Me too! I have a serious cyano problem in one of my tanks. I've tried manual removal, various remedies (Blue Exit, Boyd's Chemiclean, Ultralife), reduced lighting, total blackouts, increased flow and it just comes back. However, there is some evidence that it is caused by low nitrate. The tank in question has had a very low level of stock (5 2 inch fish in 180 litres) and thus very low nitrate. About a month ago another of my tanks sprang a leak so all the fish from there were added to the tank with cyano and I'm seeing higher levels of nitrate now so am hoping that after another extensive manual removal it won't return. I'll update this post after I've done that and waited a while to see if it comes back again.

If low nitrate is the issue in your case, then planting heavily and dosing ferts including nitrate for the plants may help. Or possibly using tap water instead of the bottled water if your tap has nitrate in it. I can't dose with nitrate as it's an unplanted tank (Tanganyikan cichlids).
Nunciata Nunciata
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 23/1 2:36
Re: Cyanobacteria scourge #3
Good to know. I will try adding mor plants and adding fertilizer with nitrates.

I’m anxious to hear your results. Good luck!