N-HoneyGourami N-HoneyGourami
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 16/1 7:18
Whitespot - new fish #1
Got fish from the same shop as a friend last week and both now have whitespot.

I have Esha Exit but been reading and it says the treatment doesn’t work until the spots are present...only one fish has spots currently. So obviously I want to treat straight away but is it best to wait?

Also should I turn the temperature up? Some say it speeds up the life cycle of the disease? Do I want to do this? Tank is 25C, fish are two new platys, celestial pearl danios and emerald eyespot rasbora.

(As an aside I know about the GH issue and it will get fixed, I put the platys in there until I have two adult sized platys to add to the main tank with the male, didn’t want to add just one female initially as he’ll harass her too much).

Photo: blue fish has spots on tail and one fin underneath.

Thanks
Natalie

Attach file:

jpeg  23449_6002934003532.jpeg (1,945.80 KB)
23449_6002934003532.jpeg 4032X3024 px
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • Posted on: 16/1 7:46
Re: Whitespot - new fish #2
There’s also a possibility the sick fish is pregnant, can treatment affect this?

Unfortunately I can’t see a way to isolate the sick fish except in a 39l without a filter. Daily water changes would take the medicine out so would be pointless anyway. I do have a heater but my spare filter is in use.

Thanks
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 16/1 10:42
Re: Whitespot - new fish #3
It means spots need to be present on one/some fish. Don't wait for others to be infected, treat immediately. Do not raise the temperature; that is outdated advice and doesn't apply when using the correct medication.
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • Posted on: 28/1 8:07
Re: Whitespot - new fish #4
Thanks. How long after treatment is complete can I add the fish to the main tank?

I spoke to the shop. They are treating that system for whitespot and finrot. I did the new fish one day dose of Esha 2000 but there’s no sign of any finrot or bacterial infection.

Thanks
Natalie
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 28/1 10:57
Re: Whitespot - new fish #5
Wait 14 days