« 1 (2)
Louis Louis
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 13/11 19:30
Re: Increasing pH with crushed coral #11
My results for KH, PH and GH are all from my tank. I haven’t my tested my water straight from the tap though, is this something I should do?

Also I just thought, could my high GH reading be due to too much crushed coral in my tank? So will it gradually lower and in the future I shall I use less coral and find a balance between gh, kh and ph?

And I shall look on my water suppliers website however when I looked earlier this week they didn’t say there was any water works being performed.
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 13/11 20:00
Re: Increasing pH with crushed coral #12
Yes - please do the tests I suggested as it may answer your second Q among other things. :)
Louis Louis
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 14/11 11:12
Re: Increasing pH with crushed coral #13
I tested from the tap and my ph is 6.8 (7.4 in the tank), my kh is 5dkh directly from the tap (3 in the tank) and my hardness is 12dgh directly from the tap (24dgh in my tank).
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Posted on: 15/11 14:54
Re: Increasing pH with crushed coral #14
OK. Let us know what the tap water PH is once it's been sitting in a container for 24 hours and then 48 hours.
Also, if you can let us know what substrate you have and anything else in the tank, that would be helpful to definitively eliminate other factors.
Is the quantity of crushed coral you put in the tank as per the instructions on the pack?
Louis Louis
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 18/11 14:35
Re: Increasing pH with crushed coral #15
Hi,

So after 24hours and 48 hours my ph was exactly the same as when I measured it directly from the tap- 6.8

However, today I did my water tests in my tank today and my ph is now 6!! And was 7.4 a few days ago?? Plus my KH is zero- 1 dkh (I used the api kit and the water immediately changed so I’m thinking it’s either 0 or very low below 1) yet my GH has spiked to 27dkh?!?

How is my water so hard yet KH non-existent?? I also don’t believe there is a way to lower GH without lowering KH and vice versa raise KH but not GH?

And to answer your other questions, my substrate is an aquarium black gravel, and my plants are all artificial, decorative, and then I have an air stone.

And I’m actually using more crushed coral than the company suggested as I took advice from a reliable source, however, I would have thought that more crushed coral would have made my KH really high like my GH (which is probably the cause for my high GH) and not completely drop.

I hope this information helps you and that you are able to help me with my new issue.

Thank you
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Posted on: 18/11 14:49
Re: Increasing pH with crushed coral #16
Very odd indeed. Stumped but will continue to give this some thought, or hopefully someone else might have an idea as to what's up...
Louis Louis
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 18/11 18:00
Re: Increasing pH with crushed coral #17
Thank you so much for your help and advice so far!

Do you think it would be wise to add more crushed coral to increase the KH but also some peat moss (or something equivalent) to lower the GH or do you think the moss would just lower the KH and Ph still as well as the GH?

Referring back to what another member said in this thread, does this mean my cycle will now stop due to 0 KH?