BS001 BS001
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 26/10/2020 10:32
Angelfish deaths #1
I introduced two new angelfish to my 27 gallon tank - the angelfish were young about 6 months old and the only other fish I have in the tank are a dwarf gourami and a couple of guppies. Water levels were perfect keeping a particular eye on PH as this is critical for angels.

The angelfish just weren’t hungry and one of them started eating and settling in but she died soon after. The other one stopped eating and also died within a week. The dwarf gourami is a friendly fish and they were slightly intimidated by him but got used to him quickly, certainly not half as bad as being nipped by older fish in the shop tanks where they were all squeezed in. I’ve never had fish die so quickly soon after bringing them. I do water changes and clean every week. Levels are perfect tested repeatedly.

Has anyone had experience with angelfish and is this common?
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 26/10/2020 10:55
Re: Angelfish deaths #2
Do you have actual test results? Also water hardness (gH and kh)?

If there are no problems with the water I would bet on the dwarf gourami bullying them - maybe after lights out, as gouramis with angels isn't a good mix. Both are territorial and for angels, a 27 gallon is really too small.
BS001 BS001
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 26/10/2020 11:47
Re: Angelfish deaths #3
Thanks you might have a point about the gourami. As there are not many fish in the tank the shop owner said that two angelfish even when grown up would be okay.

GH is always on the upper end at 120 plus. KH was 80, PH 7.5, nitrite 0, nitrate 40. And ammonia 0

I’d certainly avoid getting this species in future unless the dwarf was no longer there.