PH12345 PH12345
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 19/10 14:19
Holes in fins (goldfish) #1
Hi,
I have 2 goldfish in 200 litre tank. I also have Fluval 406 external filter. My tank is about 5 years old and established. I do water changes once a week but very rarely miss a week.
One of my goldfish had ick about a year ago. The other one seemed to be fine and had no spots. I treated the tank a few times and it worked.
Now, about a year later, the other fish has been starting to scratch aginst gravel sometimes and and dashing. It is also flickering it's fins sometimes. I can't see any spots on it's body. Sometimes he sits on the bottom next to a big rock but as soon as I go close it starts swimming around again, so I am unsure if it's a sign of distress or it's just resting because the current is weaker there.
What really worries me is that it keeps getting more and more pinholes on it's fins and the holes don't seem to heal or go away.. I have treated the tank for ick again but it hasn't worked. Does anyone know what causes pinholes in fins, they are on all fins except it's tail. I tried to google it but nothing comes up.
I don't think it's ick.
Please see my pictures, some of the the holes are really small, hope they are visible in pictures.
I would really appreciate any advice!
Thank you!

Attach file:

jpg  22578_5f8d92460182c.jpg (272.35 KB)
22578_5f8d92460182c.jpg 1696X889 px
PH12345 PH12345
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Posted on: 19/10 14:20
Re: Holes in fins (goldfish) #2
Pic

Attach file:

jpg  22578_5f8d928ba7396.jpg (381.10 KB)
22578_5f8d928ba7396.jpg 1315X1472 px
PH12345 PH12345
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Posted on: 19/10 14:20
Re: Holes in fins (goldfish) #3
Pic

Attach file:

jpg  22578_5f8d92b86a079.jpg (1,428.02 KB)
22578_5f8d92b86a079.jpg 4032X2268 px
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 19/10 14:56
Re: Holes in fins (goldfish) #4
Thanks for the very helpful and clear photos. This is not something I've come across but, to help with a diagnosis, the following additional info would be helpful:
* how old is the fish (and the other fish)?
* what are your tank water readings for ammonia/nitrite/nitrates/PH/KH+GH? [If you don't have the latter two, what does your water supplier website give as the reading for CaCO3 and German degrees hardness?]
* what are your tap water readings for ammonia and nitrates?
* have you noticed one fish chasing or bullying the other?
* what is their diet (including brands of dried food)? Is this fish definitely eating (or just swimming around as though interested in food at meal times but not actually ingesting food)?
* what decor is in the tank - anything the fish could be catching its fins on?
* presumably you don't net and remove the fish during water changes / tank maintenance?
PH12345 PH12345
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Posted on: 19/10 17:09
Re: Holes in fins (goldfish) #5
Hi,
Thank you so much for your reply!
I forgot to mention that I use Prime water conditioner and mistakenly have been using double dose for the last 2 years but I guess that is not an issue here.
*My fish is approx 5 years old (the healthy one is approx 4 years).
*Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate is quite high, Southern Water website says 50 but my test always shows slightly lighter colour than 50. I use test strips so it's not very accurate, sorry! PH 7.6, KH 8, GH approx 20. We have hard tap water here.
*There are a bit of bullying at meal times but the problematic fish is the bully, it gets most of the food and chasing the healty one away from it. It is definityely eating. I have been feeding them Fluval goldfish flakes, probably not the best food available I know. I do make them sink and not float.
*There are nothing sharp in the tank
*No, I don't remove fish when cleaning the tank

Thank you again for your reply!
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Posted on: 19/10 18:12
Re: Holes in fins (goldfish) #6
Thanks also for your reply. This helps eliminate some potential trains of thought I had and focus in on potential areas that might help as follows:
* advanced age: N/A - but fish do definitely change over the course of their lifespans and this might just be 'normal variation' for this particular fish (one of mine went through a phase of repeatedly losing ~12 scales along one side);
* water potentially containing chloramine: N/A as you use Seachem Prime;
* water hardness level not being appropriate: N/A as goldfish do better in harder water;
* water quality: N/A for ammonia and nitrite; nitrates might account for the issue; would definitely advise a liquid-based test kit for these 3 aspects of water quality;
* potential injury from decor / being netted / bullying: N/A;
* diet: great that still eating (a +ve sign); I would definitely supplement diet, though, to ensure a wider range of nutrients and also potentially clear out any intestinal blockages as that might account for the sitting - I'd put several peas in the tank once or twice a week (shell off, each half cut into tiny morsels), possibly feed live/frozen bloodworm once a week, and perhaps look at a pellet-based food to alternate with the flakes such as one specifically for goldfish from https://www.pro-shrimp.co.uk/94-food-by-species or https://www.completeaquatics.co.uk/aqu ... -coldwater-foods?limit=40 .

Hopefully, after a month or so, the dietary suggestions will resolve the issue (or at least halt the progression of any further pinholes); however, if not (or even if it does), then it may be worthwhile looking at options to address the high nitrates. If anything else or any other suggestions spring to mind, I'll let you know.
PH12345 PH12345
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Posted on: 20/10 11:31
Re: Holes in fins (goldfish) #7
Thank you so much for your advice!
The fish has now 2 white spots on its tail and one on its fin, they appeared overnight. Very strange. I can't see anything on it's body. I managed to get a photo of one of the 3 spots, they all look the same. Is it possible that ich causes those holes?

I have ordered the food you recommended and I think I will treat with Protozin one more time.
Hope it will work!

Once again, thank you for your help, I really appreciate it!

Attach file:

jpg  22578_5f8ebca995321.jpg (1,275.46 KB)
22578_5f8ebca995321.jpg 4032X2268 px
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Posted on: 20/10 13:18
Re: Holes in fins (goldfish) #8
I don't think these white spots are indicative of Ich/whitespot or indeed anything to be concerned about (yet). If I were you, I'd simply monitor for now and follow the previous advice, particularly around diet and ensuring water quality is optimum (which liquid-based tests will guide you on).

If it evolves into something definitive, that would be the point to medicate. However, treating with medication when there is nothing clearcut can do more harm than good (and make it less likely to be effective if/when it is actually needed).

Hope that is reassuring/ helps. Good luck with the new food.
PH12345 PH12345
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Posted on: 20/10 20:44
Re: Holes in fins (goldfish) #9
Ok, thank you! I will wait with the treatment and see if it gets any worse. Will start with the new food when it arrives.
I will also get a liquid test kit.
Thank you so much for the advice!