Jid134 Jid134
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 24/9/2020 20:13
Advice on tank mates #1
Hello Guys,

New to the fish keeping page.

I've been out of the loop for many years about 20 years when I was a child I used to have tropical fish tetra danios etc etc..

Now I have a 90litre tank.
Just want to know what to put in the tank as I have already got 5 zebra danios and 6 cardinal tetras am thinking of doing a couple more cardinals but also my girlfriend would like some cherry barbs.

Was thinking of some dwarf mollies or guppies...
Any help would be brilliant.

My filter is a aqua manta moray 480.. does 720L/Hr and I've got a 200w heater.
See below a picture of the aquarium

Thanks Jonjo.

Attach file:

jpg  23431_5f6cef8a36a10.jpg (2,476.66 KB)
23431_5f6cef8a36a10.jpg 4032X1960 px
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 25/9/2020 11:37
Re: Advice on tank mates #2
What you can keep depends on the pH and hardness of your water. You can get a rough idea by putting your postcode into the search for water quality in your area on your supplier's web site, or you can test pH, gH and kH of your tap water and be more accurate. Post the results and we'll be in a better position to make suggestions.
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 25/9/2020 14:39
Re: Advice on tank mates #3
...and also, if you could let us know the dimensions of the tank too (width/length of tank, depth front to back, height), that would be helpful, as it may help us refine our suggestions accordingly.
Jid134 Jid134
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 25/9/2020 20:28
Re: Advice on tank mates #4
Thank you for the quick reply guys...

So I just gone on to united utilities site done a check and here is what they say

The water supply to this area can vary from soft to moderately soft. The supply is low in naturally occurring fluoride and is not artificially fluoridated

Typical water hardness:Soft

Hardness clarke:1.68

My PH is sitting around 6.8-7.2
KH is usually 3..
GH is usually 3-7

My tank is
60cm Width
40cm depth
40Cm height..

Now on a calculator it says it's a 96 litre but I know it doesn't account for the filter media. Heather stones and sponges. With that hidden but built in it is 90Litre

It's the Aqua manta nano 60..

P.s already thinking of going bigger in the next 6month and that tank goes into the spare room 😂

Thanks,
Jonjo.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 26/9/2020 9:28
Re: Advice on tank mates #5
OK. You have really soft water so mollies and guppies are out - they're both hard water fish. There's a minor conflict between the danios and cardinals as the danios are actually a temperate fish best kept below 24C where cardinals are truly tropicals and do best at about 26C. Cherry barbs would work well in the water and if you do get a larger tank as well I'd suggest keeping the danios and cherry barbs in this one at 24C and moving the cardinals to the new tank and keeping a selection of true tropicals in there at 26C. With soft water like yours, you'll be spoilt for choice as soft water tropicals are probably the widest-ranging selections to choose from.
Jid134 Jid134
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 27/9/2020 16:15
Re: Advice on tank mates #6
Good evening fish lady.

Sorry about the delay in reply.. busy day yesterday..

Ooh I like the sounds of this.. more tempting on get a bigger than sooner than I anticipated haha

What would you suggest in the bigger tank and the smaller one with cherry barbs and danios?

The second tank would go purely up stairs on the landing...

Just a bit stuck on what I think I could put in sorry about the questions

Kind regards,
Jonjo.
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Posted on: 27/9/2020 18:02
Re: Advice on tank mates #7
If it were me, I'd:
* have the larger tank as the 24'C tank with the lively/active zebra danios and cherry barbs only [corydoras such as pandas (whose size/temp/water requirements would match yours) might work too, although there's a risk that they may find their tankmates too boisterous];
* keep a shoal of cardinals and a shoal of harlequin rasboras in the smaller, 26'C, calmer tank.

Lots of alternative options, though, but generally tetras, rasboras and pencilfish work particularly well in soft water.
Jid134 Jid134
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 28/9/2020 15:20
Re: Advice on tank mates #8
Hey FCMF,

Thank you for the advice am looking at the Juwel 180 vision.

I was looking at a shoal of cardinals with the rummynose but unsure and will deffo have a look at harlequin rasboras.

If theres anything else you recommend for the bigger tank will be gratefully appreciated

Thanks Jonjo.
Jid134 Jid134
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 28/9/2020 22:08
Re: Advice on tank mates #9
Okay so I just bought a 200Litre aquael tank with extras Rena filstar xp2 external filter cleaned out with bio balls inside and sponge filter

1 5000lph wave maker as new

2 internal filters fluval u1 as new hardly used and tetra in400plus filter used.

4 air pumps. Tetra Aps 400 and aps150 with new internal rubbers as they go after lots of use, have 1 spare also and marina 50 pump plus Rena air 100 pump

13 pieces of bog wood

Large slate cave plus smaller cave

3 heaters fluval 200w Interpet 100w aquael 75w

Also has a new LED light with timer costing 72quid
Got it at a bargain of £110.50

Has got ornaments and plants too...

Now to pick it up tomorrow and decide what to put in it 😊
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Posted on: 29/9/2020 12:45
Re: Advice on tank mates #10
Sounds good.

The best way to prepare the new tank is to undertake a fishless cycle as per https://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles ... hless-cycling-article.htm Therefore, my recommendation would be to keep the existing fish in their existing tank for now, perform a fishless cycle on the new tank, and use the weeks while that is happening to decide upon how you'll stock the tanks.

Rummynose tetra need a larger tank than the smaller one. You can check out the various requirements of different species, including tank size, temp, etc, at https://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/modules/caresheets/ and a the more comprehensive and up-to-date species profiles at https://www.seriouslyfish.com/knowledge-base/