Klp100 Klp100
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 25/9 15:08
Is my Molly pregnant? #1
Hiya, new to fish keeping and still learning so please be kind!
I'm wondering if my Molly is pregnant. She is very erratic (we've only had her two weeks and she's always been like it) she eats loads. First one to the food and last one away from it. And her tummy seems to be getting bigger. If I can work out how to post a photo I will! I have a photo from the day we got her with one today.

Any advice is appreciated

Attach file:

jpg  23432_5f6df9b8beff1.jpg (1,357.46 KB)
23432_5f6df9b8beff1.jpg 1564X1564 px
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 25/9 19:04
Re: Is my Molly pregnant? #2
Welcome!
Greedy fish can look more rounded and may account for a tummy getting bigger.
Often, a livebearing fish develops a definite gravid spot and I'm not seeing this from the photo. [She may well be female but, if you check pictures on line to determine a male's rod-shaped gonopodium versus a fan-shaped anal fin, you'll definitively know whether or not she is female. If she is, then there's an extremely high chance she's pregnant if she's been in the presence of a male fish.]
Erratic swimming may be accounted for by a number of issues - check ammonia, nitrite and nitrates with a liquid-based test as impaired water quality is the usual cause, or possibly by inappropriate water hardness (eg too soft when they require hard water).
Hope that helps.
Klp100 Klp100
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 26/9 9:37
Re: Is my Molly pregnant? #3
Thanks for replying!
I have just tested and the nitrite levels are slightly high. We did a 10% water change two days ago (added aqua safe and a filter boost) and planning to do another today.
Is there any other way to reduce the nitrite levels at all?
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 26/9 14:55