« 1 (2)
Fishyfishfish Fishyfishfish
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 5/9/2020 18:08
Re: Hard water tropicals for 85 litre tank #11
Many thanks for your response fcmf it is greatly appreciated.

I’ve got a couple more pictures of him in weird positions and will upload them when I get a chance.

I’m disappointed with Masterfisch because I was under the same assumption that you came to in that the courier would be APC and I’m sure I saw that on the website; there was definitely no mention of UPS at any point anyway.

I have registered my disgust with them and we’ll see what happens. There are a few things I’m not happy about regarding this order and they will know about it.

Thanks again
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • Posted on: 10/9/2020 14:54
Re: Hard water tropicals for 85 litre tank #12
It's been a week since I received 'rocky' and he's still alive so I thought I'd give an update.

He has moments where he is active and others where he is completely still, and there have been a few times where he's been in positions which I thought were unnatural - I've included a picture. He looks OK though otherwise though and has no fin rot or anything so I think he's settled in at least.

I'm doing a water change twice a week at the moment (about 20% each time) and it doesn't bother him in the slightest, which does make things easier!

I feed him Tetra Betta food, which is like a very fine flake (shrimp & krill). Temp is between 24-25 degrees.

I emailed Masterfisch and they have not responded in any way, which I think is an appalling service; they certainly won't be getting my custom again that's for sure.

Attach file:

jpg  21565_5f5a2ff47eb96.jpg (1,685.75 KB)
21565_5f5a2ff47eb96.jpg 4032X3024 px
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • Posted on: 10/9/2020 14:59
Re: Hard water tropicals for 85 litre tank #13
This is the picture of him in a strange position:

Attach file:

jpg  21565_5f5a3140eb4a5.jpg (1,781.66 KB)
21565_5f5a3140eb4a5.jpg 4032X3024 px
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 10/9/2020 17:01
Re: Hard water tropicals for 85 litre tank #14
Glad Rocky is still alive, still looking so handsome, and unperturbed by water changes.

Is there any possibility that he's struggling with the flow from the filter and is looking for a rest place? I see it's an external filter, which I've never had, and don't know / can't tell whether the flow is able to be reduced or not. What other decor do you have in there that he might be able to rest behind? Additions/alternatives to adjusting the filter flow include the links previously listed plus some tall silk plants.
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • Posted on: 11/9/2020 19:53
Re: Hard water tropicals for 85 litre tank #15
Funnily enough I don't think the filter flow is causing him any harm, in fact I'm sure he likes it because I've seen him directly below the outlet into the tank swimming in the bubbles.

It's a fantastic filter - I cannot hear it! I literally have to open the cabinet and stick my head in to hear it it's that quiet. The flow isn't that strong anyway in all honesty; I think because the tank is quite tall on the stand it takes away some of the force of the flow as it returns to the tank. Flow cannot be reduced. Only the front right of the tank has any real water movement but, as I said, it's not strong.

There's bog wood in there and a fake plant and a catappa leaf which I've shaped into like a dome on the bottom, which he likes to go under.

I'm doing a further water change this weekend and I'm hopeful he's gonna be OK.