helenOxford helenOxford
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 2/9 17:30
Can you identify my Loach please? #1
Hi,
I rescued Mr Loach back in 2017 from a school. He was being kept in a shallow plastic tray of tap water with no filter and was about 4cm long, black and slimy. As he was no longer wanted I popped him in my 54L tropical tank and now he's 13 cm (about 5") long, very wide and happy.
He has beautiful markings but doesn't look like a true Butterfly or Hillstream loach.
I'd love to know his breed please.

Helen

Attach file:

jpg  23392_5f4fc83889adf.jpg (1,328.36 KB)
23392_5f4fc83889adf.jpg 3242X1883 px
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 2/9 18:03
Re: Can you identify my Loach please? #2
I have *no* experience with these fish and identifying them (think I may have tried once and failed) - but there are numerous species. To my uneducated eye, I would have thought that Mr Loach was actually a Mrs Bristlenose Plec (ie minus the bristles that would have denoted a male). However, someone else will hopefully confirm this or be able to provide the correct identification.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 2/9 18:28
Re: Can you identify my Loach please? #3
fcmf is quite correct. This isn't a loach she's a female common bristlenose pleco (Ancistrus cf. cirrhosus)
helenOxford helenOxford
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 3/9 22:30
Re: Can you identify my Loach please? #4
Thank you both so much for your help in this identification. Now I've seen other photos of Bristlenose plecos online I can see that the male and females are quite different in this species. Pleased to see she won't get too much bigger either. She's obviously enjoying her new home with me and she is quite a character really.

Helen
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 4/9 15:36
Re: Can you identify my Loach please? #5
Hope she has a long and happy life, and continues to give you lots of pleasure with her various antics, etc.