Fishyfishfish Fishyfishfish
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 21/8 9:58
Another platy has taken ill #1
Another day, another platy starts suffering.

This goes along with my previous posts regarding ill platy - this female has no visible symptoms, but is very lethargic and is spending most of her time either at the top, or bottom of the tank.

Water parameters are good with 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite but nitrates are their usual levels at around 40ppm. I do two water changes a week to try and keep on top of it.

She started showing symptoms about a week ago when the temperatures here were tropical (the tank was at 26 degrees) and I did some water changes to try and alleviate it as best I could.

She is making fairly rapid mouth and gill movements, and she is using her pectoral fins, but the rest of her fins are clamped to her body and it almost looks like she's lost the ability to use them because they remain clamped to her and she doesn't use them at all. This is exactly what the other platy were doing before they passed. She is also not 'upright' in the water, she is kind of to one side.

Based on this what are my treatment options? I used waterlife sterazin in the past but it didn't work.
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • Posted on: 21/8 10:05
Re: Another platy has taken ill #2
Just a quick follow up here:

I've had a good look at her and her tankmates, the rest seem fine but she does seem to have a single white 'dot' right at the start of her dorsal fin. I tried to get a picture but it's not really showing on the photo, and I can't tell if she's caught it or if it's something sinister. There is also a bit of red poo in the tank, which I can't say is from her but I've never noticed red poo in the tank before - is that a possible sign of anything?

Many thanks.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 21/8 11:26
Re: Another platy has taken ill #3
Red poo is usually food-related. Can you check your gH, kH, and pH? If you don't have hardness tests look on your water supplier's site for "Water quality in your area" and enter your postcode for a report on local parameters.
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • Posted on: 21/8 11:35
Re: Another platy has taken ill #4
ph is 8 and gH is around 14.

I was going to treat it as swim bladder disease but esha 2000 doesn't treat swim bladder apparently, I could have sworn it did.
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • Posted on: 21/8 12:46
Re: Another platy has taken ill #5
I've purchased some interpet swim bladder + and I'm dosing it in the quarantine tank, it's got to be worth a try.
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • Posted on: 22/8 12:20
Re: Another platy has taken ill #6
The platy was dead when I got up this morning, so too late unfortunately.
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 22/8 15:11
Re: Another platy has taken ill #7
Sorry to read about that but thanks for the update.
Out of interest, what are the list of ingredients on the Interpet Swimbladder treatment? I used it myself many years ago but no longer have the bottle but am keen to see how it compares with eSHa 2000's ingredients.
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • Posted on: 30/8 10:21
Re: Another platy has taken ill #8
Quote:

fcmf wrote:
Sorry to read about that but thanks for the update.
Out of interest, what are the list of ingredients on the Interpet Swimbladder treatment? I used it myself many years ago but no longer have the bottle but am keen to see how it compares with eSHa 2000's ingredients.

Composition is:

Formaldehyde 2000mg/100ml
Bronopol 1045mg/100ml
Benzalkonium chloride 500mg/100ml