Greeny Greeny
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Norfolk
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 26/8/2020 1:39
Could anyone identify this critter for me please? #1
Hi guys,

I know you'll see worms in this video which I believe are Rhabdocoela but do you know what this critter is im trying to focus on?

The best I've come up with is a louse. I have also seen a rounded version of it too. Wasn't easy to film as I needed to use a high magnification lens from a reading aid in front of my phones camera.

My betta isn't doing too great and I'm trying to get to the bottom of it. Can't see any visible issues on his body and skin. He's the only inhabitant (or was) in a 45 litre ADA cube garden, heavily planted aquascape using a biomaster thermal 100 cannister filter, injecting CO2.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DzFxc ... Lf9zUfm/view?usp=drivesdk

Thanks a lot
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 26/8/2020 6:53
Re: Could anyone identify this critter for me please? #2
Looks most like a seed shimp (Ostracoda)
Greeny Greeny
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Norfolk
  • Posted on: 26/8/2020 14:40
Re: Could anyone identify this critter for me please? #3
Thanks for the quick response.

Yes, now i see a picture of one on youtube it does look like you're spot on. I'm assuming these guys are harmless?

Those worms though, I can see loads. I turned off my filter overnight and there are loads of the floating on the service. Could any of this be a problem for my betta? He isn't well.
Greeny Greeny
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Norfolk
  • Posted on: 26/8/2020 16:20
Re: Could anyone identify this critter for me please? #4
Without knowing my exact course of action im totally stuck, I don't know how to treat him. Is it the worms that's the problem? Is it parasites? I don't think its constipation as I've not seen his belly bloated. Appetite is lost. Is it Finrot?

Attach file:

jpg  13181_5f467d92d9e62.jpg (1,951.20 KB)
13181_5f467d92d9e62.jpg 4032X2268 px
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 26/8/2020 16:48
Re: Could anyone identify this critter for me please? #5
Is it possible to net the worms out from the surface?
Do you regularly siphon from the substrate (or is this difficult due to planting?) and do regular filter maintenance ie weekly/fortnightly for each? Does the filter have worms in it?
Do you take regular ammonia/nitrite/nitrate readings? Do these show water to be consistently 0/0/20 respectively (or no more than 20 above tap water nitrate levels) or has this water maintenance regime slipped a little in any way or water quality become impaired?
How old is your betta? When did he become ill - and was it gradual or sudden-onset? Are there any / what are the symptoms besides loss of appetite?