Tinkjon Tinkjon
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 2/8/2020 9:55
Screws on top of aquarium stand #1
I’ve just bought a second-hand stand but there are screws in each corner - am I supposed to screw the tank to the stand? I thought I just put it on top, free-standing. Maybe this stand was designed for a particular tank but my tank doesn’t have any holes to slot onto these screws.

If it IS ok to just place the tank free-standing on top then I’m also in trouble as there is no way to remove the screws!

Attach file:

jpeg  6622_5f267f7c1cc91.jpeg (1,934.99 KB)
6622_5f267f7c1cc91.jpeg 4032X3024 px
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 2/8/2020 15:01
Re: Screws on top of aquarium stand #2
I've not seen a stand like this before, so can't be sure whether it is designed for a specific/bespoke tank that has some sort of screw facility into it, or whether it's designed as markers with the tank fitting against/inside the rectangular perimeter screw holdings (eg so that the tank doesn't move slightly when it's initially filled up with water).

It certainly *won't* be ok to place the tank on top of the screws nor even on top of the holes if the screws had been removable as the tank would be severely compromised. What *might* work is a layer of polystyrene foam cut to the shape of the base of the tank, placed on top of the stand underneath the tank, with a fishtank/aquarium base mat on top of that, then the fishtank on top of that. The screws would presumably then make a natural dent on the underside of the polystyrene but wouldn't cause it to 'collapse' down at those points.
Tinkjon Tinkjon
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From -
  • Posted on: 2/8/2020 16:38
Re: Screws on top of aquarium stand #3
Thanks. Ok, so I have been able to remove the screws. I've just had another look at the tank and the base of the tank is slightly raised up, so it won't actually be touching the holes but sitting a few millimetres above it. Do you think that would be ok? The holes are about 0.4mm in diameter if that makes a difference.
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Posted on: 2/8/2020 17:59
Re: Screws on top of aquarium stand #4
Great. A few 0.4mm-diameter holes doesn't sound like it would have too much / any of an adverse effect. To visualise this properly, what size is the tank and what brand is it (and/or are you able to take a photo of its base)?
Tinkjon Tinkjon
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From -
  • Posted on: 2/8/2020 23:17
Re: Screws on top of aquarium stand #5
It's a Marina Lux 75 tank - about 61cm x 30cm on the base.
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Posted on: 3/8/2020 15:35
Re: Screws on top of aquarium stand #6
I have a predecessor-model Marina tank - but haven't looked at the base of it since I got it as it's been full. However, from what you describe, it ought to be fine.
[Incidentally, I see you mentioned and I re-quoted 0.4mm holes - I assume this is 0.4cm - which is still ok.]
Tinkjon Tinkjon
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From -
  • Posted on: 4/8/2020 7:43
Re: Screws on top of aquarium stand #7
Great - many thanks for your advice!