mah83 mah83
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 29/7 11:21
New tank setup help needed #1
Hi everyone I was hoping I could some advice on setting up a new tank, I have kept tropical fish many years ago but am just getting back into the hobby, I have fluval roma 200 Length 100cm x Depth 40cm x Height 55cm and was looking into setting up the tank to keep dwarf mbuna cichlids, I am aware that I need to cycle the tank before I think about fish but I want to make sure I have the right setup for the fish before I move ahead.

Will this tank size be ok?
Which fish would you suggest for a newbie and how many? I have no interest in breeding.

Any advice would be much appreciated
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 29/7 14:05
Re: New tank setup help needed #2
Hi and welcome,

I assume you have suitably hard water for Mbuna? If you haven't already, read up on fishless cycling here: https://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles ... hless-cycling-article.htm

For an Mbuna set up you'll need plenty of rocks arranged in a pile to form caves and crevices. For your size of tank I'd go with the less aggressive species of Mbuna and a mix of 12 fish. These species would suit - pick up to three species but only 1 Labidochromis species among them:

• Pseudotropheus saulosi
• Pseudotropheus sp. "Acei"
• Labidochromis sp. "Hongi"
• Labidochromis caeruleus
• Labidochromis sp. "Perlmutt"
• Labidochromis chisimulae
• Iodotropheus sprengerae
• Cynotilapia zebroides

Any questions, just ask