« 1 2 (3)
merpig merpig
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 16/7 15:01
Re: Weird string of unrelated issues? Help with goldfish treatment #21
Thanks! I had thought that the soilent green was a complete food but checking the packaging properly it’s recommended for algae eaters so I’ll definitely add a pellet in.

I’ll update once they’ve been on the new food schedule for a while. I’ll be thrilled if I can beat this with diet.
merpig merpig
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 17/7 15:32
Re: Weird string of unrelated issues? Help with goldfish treatment #22
Unfortunately today the oranda is floating at the top upside down 90% of the time. All parameters are normal (zero ammonia & nitrite, 5ppm nitrate, PH is 7.2)

Tbh I’ve turned the tank light off and stopped looking what’s going on in there. Horrible experience with these fish.
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 17/7 16:31
Re: Weird string of unrelated issues? Help with goldfish treatment #23
All the water quality may read ok, I'd suggest what I call a 'non-invasive water change' - just take out a few jugfuls of water and replace them with dechlorinated water. Water has all sorts of things in it that can't be measured by stress kits, including stress hormones, and a water change will never/rarely do any harm and often can perk up an ailing fish.

Ordinarily I might suggest fasting the tank for a day or two, then start the revised feeding regime. However, I've since been having a think about this and also a think back to my own goldfish (RIP/SIP), in conjunction with what you've said, and wonder if time is of the essence to get these fish onto their proper nutrients and diet before weakness from malnutrition might take over. My last fancy goldfish had recurrent swimbladder problems and, in hindsight, I realised she'd gone several weeks without the proper nutrients and being fed only pea and cucumber, such was my determination to alleviate the swimbladder symptoms - ultimately, I think weakness from this ultimately resulted in her final demise. Although my common/comet goldfish spent a lot of time resting near the top of the tank in his final weeks/months, I did continue feeding the proper food/nutrients but, again given the floating effect post-feeding, I fed very (probably too) sparingly. On the basis of all of this, I think it's pellet time, even a tiny amount each day.
merpig merpig
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 17/7 17:13
Re: Weird string of unrelated issues? Help with goldfish treatment #24
I think you might be right - the oranda can swim when he wants to so hanging at the top of the tank upside down would say to me that he’s exhausted.

I’ve ordered new life spectrum pellets as they’ve had them before and didn’t have particular issues and they come in tiny pellet sizes for easy digestion. I’ll soak them beforehand too.

In the meantime, I have bloodworms and tubifex worms neither of which I use much but would give them a protein boost, and I have an Aquarian brand flake food which I’m going to check will sink before using.

Calmed down a bit from wanting to throw the towel in earlier, we will solve it eventually! Thanks for your help again.
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 17/7 18:03
Re: Weird string of unrelated issues? Help with goldfish treatment #25
If your bloodworms are live or frozen, definitely feed those rather than the Tubifex ones. Tubifex does have a tendency to swell up in the fish's gut - and I'm reckoning you'd rather avoid that risk!

As for the flakes, pre-soak them in tank water and they'll definitely sink. Additionally, breaking them up into smaller pieces might help too.

Best of luck.
merpig merpig
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 24/7 13:38
Re: Weird string of unrelated issues? Help with goldfish treatment #26
Hopefully not jinxing anything here, but it’s been a full week since the horrible day where the oranda spent all his time upside down.

Since then, they’ve been absolutely perfect. Not caught the oranda upside down a single time, even late at night. The ryukin is having the same level of floatiness as he’s had for the last few months which is fine (he sometimes goes upside down but never floats still like that, always rights himself). Taking out the floating plants seems to have made a big difference in stopping the air breathing that seems to have affected the oranda.

I ordered repashy super gold to replace the soilent green, and will be feeding it alongside the new life spectrum pellets and peas. I’ll update again in a few weeks but fingers crossed we’ve cracked it!