lovefish101 lovefish101
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 22/7 13:45
I have cleaned my new fish aquarium with fairy washing liquid #1
Hi,
I have done something really stupid. I got this brand new fish aquirium just after lock down and got busy so just opened it but didn't do anything.
After a few days it got some dust and got dirty so I accidently cleaned it with fairy washing liquid.
I am not going to put any fish or plants in it for the time being but what do I need to do to clean it properly.
If I get fill the water with salt and vinegar 2 to 3 times will this clean it?
How much time I have to leave it before I can add plants and fish?
Or is this gone and I would need to get a new one.

Thanks for your help.
Regards
R
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 22/7 16:39
Re: I have cleaned my new fish aquarium with fairy washing liquid #2
A quick search online suggests that this might help but, additionally, the key is to rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse... then air-dry. Personally, I'd leave it for a week after this.

Once that's done, re-fill the tank and add carbon and possibly Arcadia Poly-Filter, plus overdose with dechlorinator such as Seachem Prime. Again, personally, I'd leave it for a week after this.

After that, I'd start your fishless cycle: https://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles ... hless-cycling-article.htm Only after you've been through that and it's complete, then get your plants and fish. Any questions while you're going through the fishless cycling process, feel free to ask.
lovefish101 lovefish101
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 22/7 17:26
Re: I have cleaned my new fish aquarium with fairy washing liquid #3
Quote:

fcmf wrote:
A quick search online suggests that this might help but, additionally, the key is to rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse... then air-dry. Personally, I'd leave it for a week after this.

Once that's done, re-fill the tank and add carbon and possibly Arcadia Poly-Filter, plus overdose with dechlorinator such as Seachem Prime. Again, personally, I'd leave it for a week after this.

After that, I'd start your fishless cycle: https://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles ... hless-cycling-article.htm Only after you've been through that and it's complete, then get your plants and fish. Any questions while you're going through the fishless cycling process, feel free to ask.

Many many thanks for this. My stupidity got the better of me in this case.
I won't be putting anything in there until I do what you have told me.

Cheers