Cossamaximus Cossamaximus
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 18/7 15:33
New here, and need some advice. #1
Hello all,

I'm new here. My names Tim, and I need a little help if possible.
I have recently started a 240L tank for African Mbuna Cichilds.

Resized Image

I used ATM colony to cycle the tank when adding 8 fish.

My ammonia reading thus far has never gone up above 0.50ppm, and for about the first 3 days no Nitrites were showing...but strangely by day 3, nitrates started showing up, using the API Master Kit, the colour was clearly not 0ppm but closer to 5ppm.

I added 8 more fish on day 4, and my nitrites started to show, after the 4th day it was 0.25ppm, and my ammonia dropped too, to 0.25ppm. My nitrates where still showing at a more obvious 5ppm.

Now my concern is, its been 7 days, and my nitrites are still showing at 0.25ppm and my ammonia is also still showing 0.25ppm. However my nitrates aren't going up passed 5ppm, and i would have thought at least a little increase would have happened.

How accurate are these API Master kit ammonia and nitrite kits at the lower 0 to 0.25ppm range.

On another note, my water seems a tiny bit murky, I run two canister filters. A fluval 307, with mechanical sponges, coarse, medium and fine, then nearly 2kg of BioHome Ultimate media. In my other 307, I run mechanical, Fluval biomax ceramic rings, and activated carbon.

My water parameters have been consistent

PH 8 - 8.2
KH 7/8
GH 5/6
Temp is 26c

I have loads of water movement, from both canister filters returns, and I have loads of bubble being created by my Eheim Air Pump. I also have a powerhead, adding additional flow, and surface agitation.

I welcome all advise and help.

Thanks in advance everyone.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 18/7 18:03
Re: New here, and need some advice. #2
The API tests are pretty reliable. I suspect your nitrate has not yet risen much at all and that you have nitrate in your tap water supply which is what you're seeing in the tank. Most of the UK has some nitrate in tap water, many have quite a lot (mine is at 40ppm). The nitrate test is the least reliable of the set and it is very important to shake/bang the second bottle very vigorously before use as the constituents can settle out of solution and give a false result.
Cossamaximus Cossamaximus
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 18/7 20:38
Re: New here, and need some advice. #3
Quote:

Fishlady wrote:
The API tests are pretty reliable. I suspect your nitrate has not yet risen much at all and that you have nitrate in your tap water supply which is what you're seeing in the tank. Most of the UK has some nitrate in tap water, many have quite a lot (mine is at 40ppm). The nitrate test is the least reliable of the set and it is very important to shake/bang the second bottle very vigorously before use as the constituents can settle out of solution and give a false result.

Thanks so much for your response, to be honest I never tested my waters nitrate just it's ammonia levels. Maybe I should from now on. I'm planning on using Prime from now on, and doesn't that also deals with Nitrates too? Im not sure, as I used ATM Paradigm, all natural, which only deals with the chlorine etc.

And with being new, I follow testing instruction to the point. So I shake very well for the stated times before testing.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 18/7 22:47
Re: New here, and need some advice. #4
Prime will detoxify ammonia and can protect fish from the effects on nitrite and nitrate in an emergency, but all will still show up on tests as it doesn't actually remove them.