Nunciata Nunciata
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 16/7 13:54
My tap water registers .25 ppm ammonia #1
Hi,

I’m two weeks into a fish-in cycle. One male betta taken from his bowl in the office into a 5 gallon live planted tank. Still waiting for the cycle to start.

I discovered that my tap water has .25 ppm ammonia right out of the tap. The level of ammonia in the tank measured .25 every day even after a 50% water change. I think, now I know why.

I had some bottled water, 6 gallon jugs. I tested it for ammonia. Zilch! Yay. Is Dechlorinated bottled water okay to use otherwise?

Thanks for all your help.
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 16/7 14:03
Re: My tap water registers .25 ppm ammonia #2
One possibility for that level of ammonia from the tap is if the water company uses chloramination rather than chlorine when treating the water. If so, it's best to use a dechlorinator or a dosage of such that also addresses chloramines.

The bottled water (provided that it's still and not fizzy or have any flavourings added to it, of course!) ought to be fine but the above may address the issue for you generally.
Nunciata Nunciata
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 17/7 13:49
Re: My tap water registers .25 ppm ammonia #3
You are absolutely correct! I found and read the water treatment Process and they add ammonia to convert “chlorine to chloramines and reduce the formation of chlorination byproducts.“

I can’t believe how much I’m learning about water treatment in my area and chemistry!

Despite all this, Blue seems much happier and more active in his new environment.

Still learning,

Thank you!