Nunciata Nunciata
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 30/6/2020 14:05
Clear ammonia was NOT... #1
Hello again,

I’ve been cycling a tank for 12 days now. I couldn’t figure out why I’m not seeing any change in the water chemistry. Come to find out the ammonia I’m using is not just ammonia. Ugh! I bought LA’s totally awesome ammonia. It has surfactants and other things that I’m sure hinder cycling.

My question, do I need to change out my water completely or can I just start using real ammonia? My betta has already endured more than he should have. So I want to get back on track as soon as possible.

Feeling sad for my fish. Thanks for helping me help him.
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 30/6/2020 15:25
Re: Clear ammonia was NOT... #2
Sorry to read about this but, thankfully, at least you've discovered the error now. I did a google search for that particular product and see that someone else on another forum has encountered the same problem; I'll PM you the link to that thread so that you can read it and the advice for yourself.

In essence, the advice is that:
* if there are any soaps/perfumes in it, it would affect the tank and filter as it could leach into the tank items (media, decor, substrate) which would be hard to get rid of without and maybe not even with at least incessant rinsing;
* you could test this out by seeing if bubbles form which don't go away immediately.

You could maybe also contact the manufacturer for a list of ingredients. However, I'd definitely change the water and start incessant rinsing of everything in the tank, then start again with ammonia such as Jeyes' Kleen-Off.

Better that than inadvertently inflict any toxic harm on your betta when he eventually moves into his new home.

Best of luck.
Nunciata Nunciata
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • Posted on: 2/7/2020 3:20
Re: Clear ammonia was NOT... #3
I completely emptied my 5 gallon tank and rinsed everything to remove the LA’s totally (NOT) Awesome ammonia. I rinsed the filter media, the gravel and live plants. Then I rinsed and scrubbed the tank itself. I put everything back together including fluval stratum and the rinsed gravel and filled it with clean dechlorinated water. I then placed my plants and completed the fill with more dechlorinated water. So, now I’m back to square one.

But my ammonia won’t arrive for 9 more days! Do I just wait or is there something I should do?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 2/7/2020 8:55
Re: Clear ammonia was NOT... #4
Hi

I've just been reading back over your posts and realised your Betta is currently in a filterless bowl on which you're doing partial daily water changes to control ammonia. In this case, rather than cycling the new filter/tank with ammonia I would move the Betta in and let him cycle it. You'll need to do daily water changes to control ammonia/nitrite while the tank cycles, but you're doing that anyway so overall he'd be better off in the new tank as he'd have more space and water circulation.
Nunciata Nunciata
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • Posted on: 2/7/2020 13:43
Re: Clear ammonia was NOT... #5
Omg! You’re brilliant! He’s already dealing with cycling issues! Duh!
But it would be so much better for him with the help the filtration etc.

I will do that today!
Nunciata Nunciata
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • Posted on: 2/7/2020 22:53
Re: Clear ammonia was NOT... #6
Since I've gotten so much help from this forum, particularly fishlady and fcmf, I thought I'd
share a picture of Blue's new digs!

Thanks so much for the help. I'm sure I will be asking more questions soon.

Attach file:

jpg  23229_5efe5752ac773.jpg (237.96 KB)
23229_5efe5752ac773.jpg 1279X961 px
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 3/7/2020 6:56
Re: Clear ammonia was NOT... #7
You're very welcome. The tank looks lovely and I'm sure he'll be very happy in there
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 3/7/2020 12:51
Re: Clear ammonia was NOT... #8
What a lovely home for Blue - thanks for sharing with us. :)