Nunciata Nunciata
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 27/6/2020 15:30
Helping my betta. In a bowl.... #1
My 5 gallon tank is still in the fish less cycle, I have nitrites starting but probably still a few weeks away from being able to move my betta into the aquarium. In the meantime, I’ve been testing his bowl water and doing partial water changes to keep him as comfortable as possible. As you can imagine, the ammonia builds up pretty quickly. Would dropping an Aqueon pure ball hurt him at all? Could it help? There are 2 moss balls and a rock with a plant on it in his bowl. So the bacteria would have a place to live I’m thinking.

Thoughts?
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 27/6/2020 22:55
Re: Helping my betta. In a bowl.... #2
I have no personal experience with these balls but, having read the pack about them online, don't think they'd do any harm to place one in the bowl and it might well help - but you will definitely need to keep up the same level of water changes and don't use this as a substitute.

Seachem Prime as your dechlorinator might also help too, if you're not already using it - while it doesn't reduce the ammonia or nitrite, it does detoxify it for the next 48 hours.

Good luck with the fishless cycling in the 5-gallon tank.
Nunciata Nunciata
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 28/6/2020 23:07
Re: Helping my betta. In a bowl.... #3
The seachem prime is an excellent suggestion. I’ll give it a shot. Thank you!

I’m sure you’ll hear more from me as I work my way through cycling my tank. I’m just so excited for him to get to experience his new digs!