Newbie88 Newbie88
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 9/6 22:30
Bottom drain to filter #1
Hi all. I'm currently ordering everything for a new pond build.i have a submersible pump and filter box already but will be using a bottom drain. Is there a way of doing a bit of diy on a container and having something to catch leaves etc and then the pump in there also to run to filter? Any help appreciated. I will add ot is a raised pond so it wouldnt have to be dug into the ground.
2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 9/6 22:40
Re: Bottom drain to filter #2
It really depends on how inventive you are.
I would suggest you draw what you are thinking of on paper then see what you can find that fits what you have drawn.
I should point out:
A bottom drain is NOT for catching leaves, as leaves often float. For leaves you want a skimmer.
If you are having a bottom drain (good idea) then where ever it runs to should have its top slightly higher than the highest point of your pool, if you don't and you have a power cut or the pump fails all the water will come out over the top of what the bottom drain is connected to as it is lower than the pool.
Newbie88 Newbie88
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 10/6 7:07
Re: Bottom drain to filter #3
Hi and tha is for the reply. I was just thinking of anything that could get sucked through and mess with the pump. I'll get drawing today and see what I can come up with.
2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 10/6 12:45
Re: Bottom drain to filter #4
Sounds like a plan.
I should however point out that there are specific pumps for specific jobs, so for a pond filter you need a filter pump, filter pumps are designed to handle "solids" and pump them to the filter, and it is the job of the filter to catch and hold solids. Filter pumps send high volumes of water at low pressure to the filter, where as a fountain pump is designed to pump "clear water" (No solids) at great speed in order to operate the fountain nozzle.
If you use the wrong pump for the wrong task, it often will not work, I have seen people ask why a fountain nozzle does not work as the picture on the box shows, its because they have a filter pump, which is just not made for the task, I have also seen the opposite where people complain the pump blocks every day, its because they are using a fountain pump to supply a filter, fountain pumps can not handle solids, and soon block.