AikaH AikaH
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 31/5 11:46
Cichlid jumped out #1
Hi! I was wondering if anyone has some advice for me on this topic.

While I was doing a water change and cleaning the gravel, I had to move my fish out of the tank. I left for about fifteen minutes to clean the ornaments and came back to find the poor thing on the floor! I feel like a horrible fish parent :(
She was still a bit wet when I put her back in the water and her fins were still moving. She has no visible injuries but her behavior has changed.
She normally hides but comes out once I greet her in the mornings and sit by the tank for a couple of minutes, then she is fine for the rest of the day and doesn't hide as much. However, today she is showing signs of stress, hiding more and moving her fins very fast. Still no visible injuries or colour changes. Other than her behaviour she looks totally fine. Everything else in the tank is fine but I did change a couple of ornaments and put in a new airstone which I have now turned off just in case it is scaring her.

What I can do to help reduce her stress levels? Would using stress coat help?
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 1/6 8:22
Re: Cichlid jumped out #2
Just keep an eye on her and keep the water clean and she'll be fine. For future reference, there's no need to remove fish from the tank when doing maintenance.
AikaH AikaH
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 4/6 23:20
Re: Cichlid jumped out #3
Thank you very much! She is still hiding but doing okay.