« 1 (2)
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 25/5/2020 23:14
Re: Losing platy one at a time and more frequently #11
Sorry to read this albeit not surprised.

I wouldn't get your hopes up with this remaining platy but, to help stimulate appetite, you could pre-soak food in garlic - that may make a difference if you haven't already tried that.

Continue to monitor the two in the main tank as you say.

This may be the last thing on your mind but don't be tempted to buy any more fish until there's a considerable period of time of all being settled and no problems at all - at the very least, a month of the tank being problem-free.
Fishyfishfish Fishyfishfish
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 31/5/2020 14:58
Re: Losing platy one at a time and more frequently #12
I euthanized the other platy yesterday; it was a hard decision because she was accepting food but she hadn't made any progress so in the end I thought it best rather than carrying on and hoping for the best.

I'm keeping a close eye on the other two and, so far at least, all seems fine. I won't be buying any for a while at least because I want to make sure everything is settled down first.

What's the best way to sterilize a quarantine tank is bleach the simplest option? Will it turn the sand white? It states on the esha bottle that it can be used to clean stuff but it doesn't mention what dosage to use.
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 31/5/2020 17:27
Re: Losing platy one at a time and more frequently #13
Sorry to read about the other platy. That must have been an especially difficult decision to make if she was still accepting food.

Yes, sterilisation with bleach is the best option. If I were you, I'd get rid of the filter media and the sand from the quarantine tank and possibly any decor such as silk plants. I'd probably use the eSHa 2000 (the info leaflet states 25 drops per 100L for disinfecting purposes). Then, to be doubly certain of disinfecting everything, use bleach (a quick google search suggests the dosage) and bleach the filter, heater, siphon, nets and anything else that had contact with the quarantine tank and its inhabitants. After rinsing thoroughly several times, use an overdose of dechlorinator on all of this to be even more certain of getting rid of any bleach ie fill the tank with water and an overdose of dechlorinator with all this equipment in it.
Fishyfishfish Fishyfishfish
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 2/6/2020 11:30
Re: Losing platy one at a time and more frequently #14
It was a tough decision but in the end I judged it on whether I expected her to recover, and if so, would it be a full recovery. What concerned me most is her spine towards the back seemed to deform more as time went on so it seemed like there was only one choice in the end.

I’m keeping the sand because I haven’t got any more substrate if I bin it so hopefully the bleach is working on the sand too. Once that’s done I’ll follow the rest of your advice and overdose with Prime to remove any traces of bleach.

Thanks