sadie sadie
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Lancashire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 18/5/2020 14:42
New tank #1
After the advice of the site I’m going to upgrade my tank what size tank would I need for a comet, Blackmore, 3 hill stream loaches, 2 peppered Corys and a few wcmm? Thank you
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 18/5/2020 14:56
Re: New tank #2
These aren't a good combination in the one tank unfortunately - a comet (best suited to a pond) would out-compete the black moor for food, and, as they grow (esp the comet), the peppered cories and WCMMs are likely to become a snack for them (but the former require warmer water to the WCMMs and so wouldn't do well together even in a separate tank), while the fish have various other different requirements (eg fast flow for the hillstream loaches which the others mightn't cope with). Check out https://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/modules/ ... esheets.php?cat=Coldwater for details/caresheets for the different species.

Which of these fish do you have already? You're likely going to need a separate tank for each species. [PS. If you reply today, unfortunately I won't be able to be online again before tomorrow, so bear with me; thanks. :)]
sadie sadie
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Lancashire
  • Posted on: 18/5/2020 15:23
Re: New tank #3
Thanks for your advice very helpful I already have the comet and Blackmore for 5 years and the comet is very peaceful he eats but won’t really go for all the food before the Blackmore, I also so have made the tank fast flowing for the 3 hill streams I have but I heard peppered Corris suit cold water is that not right?
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Posted on: 19/5/2020 13:43
Re: New tank #4
If the fish are managing alright in one another's company, great - your comet is obviously very polite and considerate :) and good that the blackmoor is not perturbed by the fast flow required by the hillstream. A tank such as the Fluval 240L would probably be ideal for the fish you have as it gives the comet the 4ft+ he'd require (some bona fide sources advocate more than this). According to this up-to-date and well-respected source https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/corydoras-paleatus/, peppered cories need 22-26'C temp.
sadie sadie
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Lancashire
  • Posted on: 19/5/2020 15:03
Re: New tank #5
Thank you for the advice one side
Of the tank the water doesn’t flow as fast so the Blackmore goes there to get a break, I’m going to get a 240 litre tank, I was just wondering I’d prefer the comet to live in a big pond I don’t know if anyone knows a place I could take him?
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Posted on: 19/5/2020 16:00
Re: New tank #6
If you live in the UK, check out www.aquarist-classifieds.co.uk for your area or www.preloved.co.uk and you might find someone locally advertising space in their pond.
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Posted on: 19/5/2020 16:33
Re: New tank #7
PS. I would trust the former site dedicated for all things aquarist-oriented - greater chance that the fish will go to a good home. I also forgot to mention this site http://www.fishorphans.com/ that looks as though its owners are 'bona fide', and have also spotted https://www.sussexponddoctor.com/pond-services/fish-rehoming/ (if you happened to live in that part of the world) and www.pets4homes.co.uk Best of luck.
sadie sadie
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Lancashire
  • Posted on: 19/5/2020 21:07
Re: New tank #8
That’s really helpful thank you!
sadie sadie
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Lancashire
  • Posted on: 19/5/2020 23:51
Re: New tank #9
I seen that about the peppered corris I’m
Going to leave them now very sad though because maiden head aquatics have them
In cold water tank in two stores that I have been to that I can see is wrong also have them with gravel and not sand