GoldieSam GoldieSam
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 27/3 23:24
Inherited fantail poorly and in need of a bigger tank #1
Hi, I inherited a fantail in a 28L tank from my daughter when she came home from Uni last summer. At the time he was only small and my daughter said he didn’t like the pump as it was too powerful for him. I read a review at the time from someone who said the same thing so as he seemed happy and healthy I left it as it was. Up until now he has seemed fine with a 10L water change every 10-14 days but after the last water change on Tuesday he became rather lethargic and was just sitting at the bottom of the tank. I have a bottle of ammonia remover which my daughter had bought so I put some in the tank, along with the pump, and it appears to have helped as he seems a lot happier.

Since last summer he has probably doubled in size and is now about 4cm long (excluding tail) so I’m guessing he is suffering from poor water quality and needs a bigger tank. I had wondered if a 75L tank would be enough but some articles and comments I’ve read from others posts suggest not. I haven’t got room for anything too big so I guess I’d really like to know what the smallest I could get away with would be whilst also making sure he’s happy?

Also, can you recommend any particular makes/models?

Some years ago I had a weather loach in an Aqua One Aqua Start 75L tank and I really liked the built in trickle filter and lighting. However, from a comment I read on a forum, its successor – the Life Style – has what seems to be a flaw in its design in that the trickle filter either sits in the water or you have to have the water level below the top of the tank so I’m wondering if any other makes do a tank with a built in trickle filter that might be a good alternative?
Given that we’re currently not allowed out and several shops are shut anyway, I’m probably not going to be able to get a bigger tank for a while. What would you suggest in the meantime? Will he be OK in the 28L tank if I do bigger/more frequent water changes? I plan to at least order a water testing kit for now so I can keep an eye on the water quality. I’m kicking myself for not getting one before and that I’d not got him a bigger tank with filter and such like when I inherited him. It’s such a stupid thing to have done as I told my daughter when she bought it that it wouldn’t be big enough. I just hope fishy will be OK.
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 28/3 14:37
Re: Inherited fantail poorly and in need of a bigger tank #2
As you've correctly gathered, your (daughter's) goldfish is definitely in need of a bigger tank.

These articles probably explain the situation best:
https://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles ... -size-life-expectancy.htm
http://injaf.org/aquarium-fish/the-go ... t-size-tank-for-goldfish/
Bigger and more frequent water changes will help improve water quality but certainly won't address all the issues.

The following caresheet might also be helpful for the minimum sized tank a goldfish requires:
https://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/modules/ ... esheet.php?caresheetID=83

Take a look at https://www.completeaquatics.co.uk/aqu ... uarium-tanks-and-cabinets and, on the LHS, you can choose aquariums by size - start with the 151-250L but also take a look at the larger ones, and you might see a brand and size that "fits the bill". An interim measure is the 145L Really Useful Box which would certainly be a better sized option than what you have currently.

Hope that helps. :)
GoldieSam GoldieSam
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 28/3 18:00
Re: Inherited fantail poorly and in need of a bigger tank #3
Thanks for your reply. Is it absolutely necessary to get a 151-250L tank though? I know the primary aim is to have a happy, healthy fish but I really haven't got the room, money, time or energy for a tank that size.
GoldieSam GoldieSam
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 29/3 13:16
Re: Inherited fantail poorly and in need of a bigger tank #4
Am I going to have to re-home him?
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 29/3 14:33
Re: Inherited fantail poorly and in need of a bigger tank #5
A few points worth bearing in mind:
* re time/energy: the larger the tank, the less time-consuming they are to keep - water quality is less likely to fluctuate and weekly rather than daily water changes usually suffice;
* re £: it's possible to get second-hand tanks via aquarist-classifieds.co.uk, preloved.co.uk, freegle/freecycle for considerably cheaper than from new or indeed free-of-charge, and new tanks on sale via LFSs;
* rehoming is definitely something worth considering (esp as you mention lack of time/energy) - aquarist-classifieds likely the best option for finding a suitable/responsible fishkeeper - but might take some time to identify, and not something that's going to be feasible during the current pandemic's lockdown, so best to have your own measure in place in the intervening months (eg via a Really Useful Box or larger tank as previously described).

Hope that helps.
GoldieSam GoldieSam
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 1/4 14:12
Re: Inherited fantail poorly and in need of a bigger tank #6
OK. Thank you