Pcam86 Pcam86
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 31/3 23:04
Honey gourami breeding. Help! #1
Hey,

So I'd added floating plants to my tank a week ago and yesterday noticed my male Honey gourami staying under them and chasing all other fish away. An hour ago I'd noticed that the female had been allowed to go under the floating plants in the corner and all of a sudden the male wrapped himself around the female and she dropped some eggs. The male tried to grab them all but half of my fish ate them.

I already have a makeshift fry nursery in this tank for a baby guppy I'd found hiding last week. I've read to remove the parents from a tank after they spawn. I'm not able to do this so I'm a bit stuck on whether I'm best to just leave them to chance life naturally or if it will be safe to add the eggs to the floating nursery (I'm assuming the guppy fry will eat the gourami fry if they hatch) or if I should make another small floating nursery for the eggs instead?

I've bread other fish before but have no clue what's best to do with Honey Gourami 😩
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 1/4 15:25
Re: Honey gourami breeding. Help! #2
You can try moving them to the nursery if the guppy is now big enough to go back to the tank. If not then there's no real point as the guppy will eat them. Ideally, you need a separate tank for them as they will be extremely small when they hatch and will need infusoria as a first food which will be very difficult to supply in a floating hatchery (it will be washed out into the main tank).
Pcam86 Pcam86
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 6/4 0:28
Re: Honey gourami breeding. Help! #3
Thanks for your help. Well it appears that the fry may have all been eaten as I still can't see anything in the tank under the water lettuce. The male honey gourami is still patrolling the area and chasing other fish away but nearly all of his nest bubbles have gone too.

I've been looking at the Marina external breeder box that hooks onto the outside of your tank with an airline going into it to draw water from the main tank. Not sure if these are recommended or not as I've never used one before? Also wondering if they're ok to use with fry as tiny as honey gourami have?

Thanks again.
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 6/4 14:43
Re: Honey gourami breeding. Help! #4
A disclaimer that I have absolutely no experience in breeding.

However, I've had a quick look around other threads on the matter and the tiny size of the fry is mentioned. Some folk advice fry nets, some warn that some breeder boxes have holes on the side and that tank inhabitants suck the fry out through those), and some advise setting up a tank specifically for breeding - putting the mother back in the main tank once the eggs appear and the father back n the main tank once the fry are free-swimming, and only transferring the fry into the main tank once they're sufficiently large to survive.

The Marina one you mention has the huge advantage of sitting on the outside of the tank so, provided that your tank would allow for a hang-on breeder box (mine wouldn't unless I removed the entire lid contraption), that sounds an ideal solution in theory. I would perhaps do a few searches on 'neutral' websites such as Amazon to check the reviews of this (as I do with any item I'm considering purchasing).