« 1 (2)
Wurzel Wurzel
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 29/9/2008 13:51
Re: Coffee table aquarium!!! #11
I diddnt mean this particular coffe table aquarium, it is quite small and not very deep. I also diddnt mean that the entire thing would be filled with water. There is an acrylic version that i have seem that was around 1.85 meters by 1.2 meters and about 2ft deep. My girlfreind has them in an indoor holding pen which is quite large but i havn't measured it as i only get to see her every other weekend as she lives in Lincoln and we generaly have other things on our minds. But they have a beach to crawl out on and allsorts not that they ever use the damn beach but they are only about 11 months old so they are quite small at the moment.
Both of us have to move out soon and the table would be a temporary soulution untill we got a place that we could build something more permanent as we are going to have to rent for a while.
As for the outside bit, i beg to differ. The stock they came from are outside for 5 months of the year, they all have heat rocks in the back of the enclosure to bask on but they rarely do. If you look at how warm it gets in june and july its actulaly just right for them. I do agree its a bit cold inapril and August starts getting chilly at night to so best to only keep them out there for the two warmest months but that still works.
If anyone here goes to Egmont Garden center look at some of the out door ponds there. Their terrapins stay outside most of the year as they have so many they are hard to catch and indeed some of them over-winter outside in this country! They can never catch all of them in august when they need bringing in which i thought would be a disaster but it would seem that some of them are just hardy enough to do it. They have bred to which is a worry as i cant see any protection against them escaping into the wild so I'll ask them about that as im sure the local water ways would be in trouble with them running amock.
You are right about native terrapins but alot of the ones you see outdoors now are far more hardy than the ones raised in warehouses or imported from abroad which i belive is illegal now. Ie after 100 years of being here the hardy ones have survived this treatment and the weaker ones more suseptable to cold have died off.... evolution at work???
Ill have a chat to my old Uni tutor who keeps them to to find out some more on this process as it was he who explained why the ones at Egmont could survive when i thought that they should all be dead by now by they get stronger in number each year!
If anyone also knows any reputable companies that can build a decent indoor pond for them then let me know!!!
sophie sophie
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Suffolk
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 29/9/2008 14:13
Re: Coffee table aquarium!!! #12
They keep them outside at Thrigby Hall Wildlife Gardens as well they have several out in the Willow Pattern Garden!
Lanzone Printer Ink, For All Your Printing Needs....
http://www.lanzone.co.uk/shop/

Resized Image
coolreptile coolreptile
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 15/3 10:18
Re: Coffee table aquarium!!! #13
Looks like the condensation on the coffee table aquariums is pretty easy to solve. I have a large clearseal coffee table aquarium at 24'c and the condensation was horrendous so added a small laptop fan between the top glass and the side glass and hey presto! No condensation whatsoever. I know this is an old post but I looked everywhere for a solution and couldn't find one so decided to put my solution on here. Also sorted the small filtration problem by removing one of the glass partesin the corner part and making a decent size sump with 3 compartments which works really well and gives it a big filtration volume for media and filtration sponges

Attach file:

jpg  22950_5e6df2dc455a1.jpg (5,715.61 KB)
22950_5e6df2dc455a1.jpg 5504X3096 px
coolreptile coolreptile
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 15/3 10:19
Re: Coffee table aquarium!!! #14
And here is a picture of the laptop fan doing its business

Attach file:

jpg  22950_5e6df33f63e8c.jpg (6,109.48 KB)
22950_5e6df33f63e8c.jpg 5504X3096 px