Antics0708 Antics0708
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 23/2 17:52
Filter question #1
So at our request, my son just received the infamous Pets at Home 24L starter tank and filter set for his birthday. Based on the ‘Fish Point’ system they use for buying fish for certain sizes of tank, we have acquired a few Zebra Danio and a few Variutus Platy. Obviously quite small fish.

The filter that comes with the tank is an own brand, model number Q116. It states on the label that it has a maximum flow of 320 LPH with no way to reduce this (no knob or dial). Whilst working it seems to be pulling the fish all over the place and they’re having to work (what looks like) too hard to get away and swim comfortably.

My question then......if I picked up something like the Fluval U1 which already has a lower maximum at 250 LPH and can be reduced even further by way of a dial, in my 24L tank would that create a better, more comfortable environment for our fish while still providing adequate filtration?

Any and all help would be appreciated. My old man kept fish for years when I was a kid and I thought I knew what I was doing at 31 years old....clearly not!!!
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 23/2 18:33
Re: Filter question #2
While the tank might theoretically be ok in size for the first few weeks, zebra danios and platies need tanks of a much larger size ultimately:
https://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/modules/ ... esheet.php?caresheetID=20 [90 litres]
https://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/modules/ ... sheet.php?caresheetID=202 [60 litres]

Therefore, a far, far better suggestion than buying a new filter would be to buy the larger tank now. In fact, many pet/aquatic stores agree / wouldn't argue with Seriously Fish's recommendation of minimum 90x30cm footprint https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/danio-rerio/ so, if you cited that, they may be able to do an exchange due to having effectively mis-sold a tank that is too small for the fishes' ultimate long-term care.

Hope this is helpful.
Antics0708 Antics0708
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 23/2 19:53
Re: Filter question #3
Thanks for your response.

It is my understanding based on what I have read that the Danio and Platy would only grow to 3 and 4 centimetres respectively? Surely on that basis the 24L would be fine, no?

There is SO MUCH conflicting information out there, online, store reps, books etc. I’m not sure what to do/who to believe at the moment.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 23/2 20:44
Re: Filter question #4
Male platys grow to 5 cm, females 7 cm and need a 24" x12" tank. Danios grow between 4 and 5 cm and are very fast swimming fish who need a lot of space so 36" x 12" is recommended for them.

For fish profiles the site these are on is one of the most reliable, accurate and regularly updated sources:

https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/xiphophorus-maculatus/

https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/danio-rerio/
Antics0708 Antics0708
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 23/2 20:50
Re: Filter question #5
While I appreciate the responses. I’ve acquired the fish on the basis of information that I have received from various sources. They weren’t purchased frivolously or on a whim. I’ve simply trusted the information that I have been given.

Getting a larger size tank isn’t really possible for me at this exact moment in time. We will go for a larger tank eventually as we plan on fishkeeping long term and with different varieties of fish, but today it’s not immediately possible.

Would somebody be willing to answer my original question regarding a filter with a slower flow based on the size of the tank I have?

Many thanks.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 24/2 8:21
Re: Filter question #6
The U1 is too powerful for a 24 L tank - it's rated for tanks of 55L. The problem is finding one small enough for a tank that size.
Antics0708 Antics0708
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 24/2 13:06
Re: Filter question #7
The U1s Maximum LPH is listed as 250 but can be reduced. The filter that came with the tank has a non adjustable max of 320 LPH. Would the U1 not be better?
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 24/2 13:46
Re: Filter question #8
Generally, the credible sources in fishkeeping are the likes of seriouslyfish.com, fishbase.org, various UK-based forums' caresheets/profiles, and those who have contributed to injaf.org and as editors of Practical Fishkeeping (eg Jeremy Gay whose aquarium books are good). As Fishlady says, Seriously Fish's merits are that it is kept regularly up-to-date on aspects of fish species' requirements and welfare.

The internet is full of info of extremely varying quality and it can be hard to decipher the good from the poor quality information - but, if you stick to the sources above, that's a good 'compass' to work from. Pet/aquatic stores will have staff trained to sound plausible (and make sales) but, again, the quality of their info varies.

There are a few alternative options for you:
* Really Useful Boxes come in sizes up to 145L which could be used as a temporary/alternative to a new tank until you're in a position to get a new tank and the box re-purposed after that; some bargains may be able to be found on Pre-loved or Aquarist Classifieds sites if that makes a difference;
* you could swap the fish for shrimps/snails (ideal for that size of tank, or possibly even a betta) and the shop couldn't really argue with you (for the reasons I mentioned before);

As for a filter, there are a few potentially suitable options (but NB check their dimensions online to see that they fit vertically in your tank):
* Eheim Mini Up (25-30L) ;
* Dennerle Nano Corner filter (10-40L);
* JBL Cristal Profi greenline Matten filter;
* Fluval Mini (up to 45L);
* Aquael Fan Mikro Plus or Mini Plus.
Antics0708 Antics0708
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 26/2 14:53
Re: Filter question #9
Quote:

As for a filter, there are a few potentially suitable options (but NB check their dimensions online to see that they fit vertically in your tank):
* Eheim Mini Up (25-30L) ;
* Dennerle Nano Corner filter (10-40L);
* JBL Cristal Profi greenline Matten filter;
* Fluval Mini (up to 45L);
* Aquael Fan Mikro Plus or Mini Plus.

Thank you so much for this information. The Dennerle Nano is incredible. Whisper quiet and a maximum flow rate of half what came with the tank.

And for all those who may concerned. We are already looking at larger tanks.

Thanks to all who commented.