Klees Klees
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 19/2 16:37
Fish identity #1
Hi all,

I’ve attached a picture of a fish that I acquired about 6 years ago. He was the only one of his kind and Is chilled out, non aggressive fish. He’s about 5 inches long, 2 inches tall and of thick set. He was obviously smaller when I got him but still quite a Good size.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what it could be?

Attach file:

jpeg  22885_5e4d643b8d8c2.jpeg (3,494.67 KB)
22885_5e4d643b8d8c2.jpeg 4032X3024 px
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 19/2 17:34
Re: Fish identity #2
I'm not great at identifying fish other than those with particularly distinguishing/distinctive features or those I'm familiar with as potential occupants of my own tank.

My initial thought was a filament/blackspot barb with this picture https://www.fishbase.se/summary/Puntius-filamentosus looking the most similar, but, the more I look at other pictures of filament barbs and the picture of your own lovely fish again, the less confident I am. Is / has there been any colouring of the fins of your fish?
Klees Klees
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 19/2 18:08
Re: Fish identity #3
His fins are slightly red in colour and has always been the same colour..... No brighter or duller. He’s body is not orange or yellow more of a silver/green.

He loves spending lot of time with the clown loach shoaling with them.
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Posted on: 19/2 20:10
Re: Fish identity #4
Hmmm... the black spot, his size, slightly red fins, and fact he enjoys the clown loaches' company (see Behaviour and Compatibility's first sentence at https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/dawkinsia-filamentosa/) seem to be consistent with filament barbs.
Klees Klees
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 20/2 17:52
Re: Fish identity #5
He doesn’t have the sharp bright red and black markings on his fins though, do you think this would disappear with age? Although he never had them when I first got him.
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Posted on: 20/2 18:30
Re: Fish identity #6
I agree (and partly the reason for my earlier lack of conviction) - although the first link (Fishbase) doesn't show those markings to the same extent.
Colourings and markings can disappear with age in fish (and body shape and other factors). Lighting can also show various features to a greater/lesser degree.
I haven't come up with an alternative ID yet but watch this space in case I do...