Haymac33 Haymac33
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 11/2 22:59
Loaches dig all my plants up - remedy? #1
Hi all
My new tank I’m setting up I want to plant up quite well. In the current tank my two yogo loaches tend to nose around so much plants end up at the surface.
I wanted to put a carpet down and have some larger plants in black fine grained sand - any idea on securing them and do plants really grow that well if you’re using the ceramic rings or lead weight?
I’m going to stick some on wood and rocks too.
Lastly, I’ve looked online for the best and most reasonable aquatic plant suppliers - for a 240 litre tank this is proving expensive! Can anyone make recommendations please?
Many thanks
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 12/2 9:53
Re: Loaches dig all my plants up - remedy? #2
Loaches and planted carpets don't mix. There's not really anything you can do to stop them digging. I have a dozen clown loaches and have no plants that root in the substrate as they constantly uproot them. I stick to plants that can be firmly tied/glued to bogwood and rocks.

This is a decent plant supplier and their prices aren't too bad: https://www.plantsalive.co.uk/
Haymac33 Haymac33
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 12/2 13:30
Re: Loaches dig all my plants up - remedy? #3
Thank you! I guessed as much with loaches - but they’re 7 years old and I love them, wasnt sure if there was a way of keeping plants down but I’ll see how it all looks with miss and ferns on the rocks and wood. I’ll give up the ides of a carpet! 😂

What plants other than fern and Java moss work well for gluing please?

Many thanks
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 12/2 15:50
Re: Loaches dig all my plants up - remedy? #4
There are many species' of anubias which are lovely and varied in size and leaf shape, also bucephalandra species' and bolbitis.
Haymac33 Haymac33
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 13/2 17:28
Re: Loaches dig all my plants up - remedy? #5
Thank you - I’ve done some shopping!