AmeliaWise AmeliaWise
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 3/2/2020 8:48
Advice on flow and setup #1
Hi!

New to the forum, but I have had ponds in previous houses before (not huge ones, just used an oase box filter, UV and submersible pump), but you cant take a pond with you… This time I'm blessed with a big garden so I can go bigger with my plans. I have just decked 2/3 of the way across the back of the house (10m) Leaving around 4 m at one side and 1.5m at the other side. I plan to run a stream alongside the decking with a couple of wide shallow pools for the dogs to paddle in when its hot weather, which falls into a koi pond about 4x3m and about 1.5m deep at the deepest point.
I have a slight fall side to side of about 50cm.
My plans were to use an old shed base to site my filters on the high side fed by a self-priming external pump. I have found a Clarke swimming pool pump which delivers 19,000 LPH, i believe they are 2inch connections on the pump. I will need to create a pre-filter to take any large debris out as the pump is a clean water pump.
I'm really worried about solvent weld and bottom drains, so i planned to use one of those retrofit bottom drains that fit to a flexi hose, making it easier to fit an in pond skimmer… but then how to fit a prefilter short of making one act as a skimmer as well? My pocket isn't bottomless so I'm trying to keep costs down as much as possible.

So my questions are:

Does anyone have any experience with the pump I plan to use? Alpine Corporation PAL3100, or a similar clean water Swimming pool pump
Is 19k LPH going to be excessive, or will I get a nice flow to play with water hydraulics and features?
Any advice on pipework would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 4/2/2020 22:01
Re: Advice on flow and setup #2
Since you ask.........The pump, never heard of them. (But then there are hundreds of pump makers out there)

A pump should be chosen for it's intended task, not because it looks nice or claims to be powerful.
For a koi pond most will aim to turn the water over once every 4 hours.

I would also suggest having a stream with areas for the dogs sounds nice, but is infact not very good at all, since the pools will allow water to stagnate and anything the dog has or does will end up in the pond.

I would say 95% of koi ponds have solvent weld pipe. I would also suggest since you are building it from scratch you install a bottom drain in the concrete, you will never regret it.

Oh, what country are you in? Its just that, the link for the pump, it is being sold by Amazon USA