BoxOfDemons BoxOfDemons
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 7/1 16:29
New keeper : Q : When do I use all these products in the tank? #1
I have a new Fluval Roma 240 tank and I plan on having a community tank. I am trying to read up and watch as many videos as I can before putting any water in the tank and learning about hardscaping.

I have most items and I believe this is correct?

(no fish in tank yet)

Put water in and add...... er.... I have these Fluval products but not sure when, how much or how often I should be putting them in. Can anybody advise me? I thought it was fill tank add a product (ot sure which one) leave for a week then change 50% water and repeat weekly for a month.

Not sure what to add as stated, how much or when, and how often to use Master test kit.

Any help appreciated.

Attach file:

jpg  fluval.jpg (402.11 KB)
22769_5e14b1d9798ac.jpg 800X600 px
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 7/1 18:25
Re: New keeper : Q : When do I use all these products in the tank? #2
The water conditioner removes chlorine/chloramine and neutralises heavy metals. It should be used on the first fill, at every water change and whenever you top up. The biological enhancer adds beneficial bacteria. You can add a dose to help your fishless cycle to establish, at the same time as you add your first dose of ammonia (see fishless cycling article here: https://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles ... hless-cycling-article.htm ). The biological cleaner is a pointless chemical and I would not use it. The final bottle seems to be plant food - use it as directed if you have plants.
BoxOfDemons BoxOfDemons
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 8/1 11:31
Re: New keeper : Q : When do I use all these products in the tank? #3
Thank you for your response. If i use the biological enhancer just once? when i first start my tank up, why is the bottle so big don't we just put in a small amount at start? do we ever use it again?

Do I need to buy some ammonia as well as use the biological enhancer?

So for Ammonia I need to add 7.2ml of Ammonia, can you buy it from fish shop? I will be going this after noon, how do you measure how much your putting in?
BoxOfDemons BoxOfDemons
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 8/1 12:30
Re: New keeper : Q : When do I use all these products in the tank? #4
As from my abpve post this seems to be recommended what do you think? will buy a measuring pipette although it says 1 dropper gallon on bottle.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00WSNYRDS
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 8/1 16:01
Re: New keeper : Q : When do I use all these products in the tank? #5
That seems suitable but it does advise buying alongside Dr Tim's One and Only as well which is a good product (and one of the very few with the appropriate bacteria in it to help with the cycling process) and likely better than the Fluval Biological Enhancer.

That said, the effectiveness of these products is a bit 'hit and miss'. Kleen-Off ammonia on its own, minus any other product, is the most consistent/reliable/safest way of cycling, using the link that Fishlady provided.
BoxOfDemons BoxOfDemons
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 8/1 16:52
Re: New keeper : Q : When do I use all these products in the tank? #6
Fluvals a good brand though no? don't want to have to buy another product when i have a full unopened fluval one.

I am going to record my journey setting up the new tank.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vZVNLpz81U