Bricorn Bricorn
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 16/12/2019 10:25
My filter is eating as much food as my fish! #1
180L tank, corner wet/dry filter.

I'm feeding mainly Tetra Bits (slow sinking), which my fish seem to enjoy and are thriving on.
But a lot ends up in the filter.
I could turn it off for a few minutes while they eat, but I'm not keen - what if I forget to turn it back on!

So, are there any feeding tricks or gadgets to help with this?

Thanks
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 16/12/2019 12:29
Re: My filter is eating as much food as my fish! #2
A fish grazing pod feeder might do the trick - but I have no personal experience of one and don't know whether it would be suitable for that particular type of food.
Bricorn Bricorn
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 16/12/2019 12:54
Re: My filter is eating as much food as my fish! #3
Quote:

fcmf wrote:
A fish grazing pod feeder might do the trick - but I have no personal experience of one and don't know whether it would be suitable for that particular type of food.

That might do, I've got some of those floating cone feeders for bloodworms (it was double the single price to buy 8!), I'll drill larger holes in one and see what happens. Thanks.
Bricorn Bricorn
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 17/12/2019 3:24
Re: My filter is eating as much food as my fish! #4
Well, that didn't work, food gets trapped in there and goes yucky overnight.

Still looking for ideas.

Thanks
Bricorn Bricorn
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 21/12/2019 4:39
Re: My filter is eating as much food as my fish! #5
If anyone's interested, I ended up getting this;
https://www.lazada.co.th/products/smar ... 309850586-s549136939.html Roughly £6 - I'm not in the UK, I escaped.

It lets me turn the tank power off for an interval, then have it come back on automatically - as long as my smartphone is still connected to my home WiFi, so I can't go out & leave it. It's basically a dumb switch that uses a smartphone as its "brain".

I've set it for 20 minutes off for feeding and am seeing almost no food in the filter floss - it's going into the fish where it belongs.

Good idea, bad idea, open to discussion.......?
Bricorn Bricorn
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 29/12/2019 7:12
Re: My filter is eating as much food as my fish! #6
Just thought I'd update this after using the smart plug for a week.

- Turns out that it IS smart, once programed via smartphone, I can go out (with phone) and it still does what I told it to.

- Some food is still floating after the 20 minutes but it seems to have absorbed enough water that, when the air pump comes back on, the turbulence on the surface sinks it - and the fish then make short work of it.

- My discus haven't picked up on the idea that food floats yet, though one seems to be getting the idea. The Yoyo loaches have, but they don't really have the mouths to pick food off the surface.

Incidentally, I put 2 small (match thick & shorter than that) Yoyo loaches in about 3-4 weeks ago to control snails. I now have 2 fat (pencil thick & 1 1/2 matches long) loaches and have to hunt for snails. They seem to breed in the wet & dry filter, then the new ones go out to be a sacrifice to the loach gods.