AmiJane AmiJane
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From Essex
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 28/11 7:26
How many filters do you use??? #1
Just read this on a website...

“If possible, give preference to two smaller, independent filters than a single larger one. It makes things easier for you and more secure for your tank - if one of the filters clogs or stops working you don't lose all of your filtering capacity.”

Can see the logic obviously. What do people actually do? One or two filters... more??

Currently purchasing items for my new tank. I was going to be buying the Fluval U4 but now wondering whether to get two of the U2 or a U3 and a U1????
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 28/11 8:11
Re: How many filters do you use??? #2
8 of my tanks have only one filter, but my 6ft has two because it needs them both to cope with the water volume and bioload. My Juwel Rio has two because I don't find the inbuilt filter adequate on its own. I do have a couple of spare filters at the ready in case one fails.
AmiJane AmiJane
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From Essex
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 28/11 13:10
Re: How many filters do you use??? #3
Thanks. I only ever kept one filter going when I had my coldwater tanks years ago. Didn't know if this was a "new" thing of doubling up on the filters. Think will do the same and just keep a spare in case!
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 28/11 16:37
Re: How many filters do you use??? #4
I can definitely see the logic in that too.

In the past, I've had two filters for that reason, and it gives peace of mind in the event of a filter prone to clogging up, if busy or away regularly or for a break away and potentially unable to keep a close eye on the tank. It's also handy to simply remove a smaller filter in the event of needing it for a quarantine tank rather than faffing around trying to open the main filter to remove some filter media to put in a spare filter (especially if it's a nuisance to open in a rush).