« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »
Fishyfishfish Fishyfishfish
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 12/10/2019 13:18
Re: Fishless cycle is just not working, guidance needed.... #31
I dosed it to roughly 2.5ppm so if it is being processed it’s incredibly slow.
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • Posted on: 13/10/2019 8:23
Re: Fishless cycle is just not working, guidance needed.... #32
Quick update - I've just tested the tank and ammonia is the same as it was 24 hours ago, so I think the cycle has definitely failed. The question I have, and I think I know the answer, is has the beneficial bacteria that has built up now died off?

I think my main issue here is that nitrates were severely high (in part due to me only doing a 50% water change when I last retried to kickstart the cycling process), so that affected the cycle and the test results. I'm also not sure dumping the whole bottle of beneficial bacteria into the tank was a smart move either.

Unless the bacteria is somehow still alive I will be shutting the tank down completely and starting again.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 13/10/2019 9:03
Re: Fishless cycle is just not working, guidance needed.... #33
When you did your water change did you use dechlorinator?

I would suggest water changes to get ammonia to 0. Then a precise dose of 2ppm and see what happens. Just to check, what temperature is the tank at? Do you have good oxygenation?
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • Posted on: 13/10/2019 11:02
Re: Fishless cycle is just not working, guidance needed.... #34
Yes I used dechlorinator, temp is 26 degrees and I’d say there is good oxygenation - I’m using a spray bar and it agitates the water surface well enough.
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • Posted on: 14/10/2019 8:41
Re: Fishless cycle is just not working, guidance needed.... #35
A last update for this - I did a large water change to get rid of the ammonia, and used dechlorinator with the fresh water. I then redosed the ammonia to 2ppm; this morning the readings are 2ppm ammonia, 0 nitrite, 40 nitrate. I think it's pretty certain the cycle has stopped so I'm shutting it down because I need a break from it. I'll use the opportunity though to change the gravel to sand and completely change the decor.

Thanks for the help you gave with this Fishlady, appreciate it.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 14/10/2019 9:53
Re: Fishless cycle is just not working, guidance needed.... #36
I'm sorry my help was ineffective in this case. I really can't think why this cycle failed. For the next attempt, you may want to try one of the apparently more reliable bottled bacteria products such as Dr. Tim's One and Only. Good luck on the next try.
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • Posted on: 13/11/2019 11:03
Re: Fishless cycle is just not working, guidance needed.... #37
I'm two weeks into trying to cycle this tank again, and I believe things are looking up but just wanted some further advice.

I'm not getting any kind of nitrite reading at all, but I'm having to redose the ammonia, and the nitrates are high all the time - at least 40ppm, and i've done three water changes over the last 3 days and the nitrate reading doesn't drop below that 40 level, so something must be happening. I always thought there would be some kind of nitrite reading though, rather than 0?

I've been using Microbe Lift - Special Blend, so if the cycle is happening I've got that to thank for it. I've also got a nitrate remover (Microbe Lift - Aqua Balance) that I'd like to add to the tank so I don't have to keep doing water changes but would it affect the cycle at all?
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 13/11/2019 11:10
Re: Fishless cycle is just not working, guidance needed.... #38
It can happen, especially in cycles that have been difficult, that the nitrite eating bacteria establish quickly and so you see no nitrite. I think this is what's happening here.

Don't use the nitrate-reducing product whilst cycling as it may cause problems. No need to change water unless the nitrate approaches 100ppm. Other than that change close to 100% once you're cycled before adding your first fish.

Good luck!
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • Posted on: 13/11/2019 13:36
Re: Fishless cycle is just not working, guidance needed.... #39
Good stuff thanks!
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • Posted on: 17/11/2019 17:47
Re: Fishless cycle is just not working, guidance needed.... #40
I dosed ammonia to around 3ppm this morning at 7 am and I’ve just tested ammonia now and it’s reading as 0ppm, does that mean she is finally cycled?!