AmiJane AmiJane
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From Essex
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 12/11/2019 21:06
Aqua One or Juwel?? #1
After an absence of over 10 years I’m looking to get back into keeping fish again. However rather than cold water looking to go tropical. Been lurking in the background doing a lot of reading.

Currently looking at an Aqua One 110 or the Juwel Lido 120. Had a Juwel before but wondering what current views/recommendations are please??

Aqua One would go better with my furniture but obviously the fish come first!
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 13/11/2019 15:17
Re: Aqua One or Juwel?? #2
I can't comment on the relative merits of these tanks so I'll leave this to someone else.

Although 'footprint' (i.e. length/width and depth) of tank is an important aspect - always good to get the largest footprint you can accommodate as that will increase your options for fish - one aspect to consider with these tall tanks might be the ultimate height and whether you can reach the various corners for tank maintenance purposes. I know of several people who find their short height has been problematic for the Juwel Lido. The Aqua One 110 looks similarly tall, though. It would be worth establishing the overall height once you take into account the tank and the unit it will be placed on (whether the one designed to accompany the tank or a separate one), unless you are tall and this aspect would be of little consequence.

Another aspect worth considering might be the lid, especially if you would be relying on an auto-feeder at any stage. I had a wonderful lid on my old tank which accommodated a Fishmate Auto-feeder perfectly inside, on an in-built heavy-duty condensation tray with feeding hole, from which I could feed the fish if away. I didn't appreciate how important this was at the time. My newer tank doesn't have this feature, and, to use any auto-feeder would either require the lid kept open or a condensation tray with feeder hole cut into it - but the gap(s) would result in my nerite snails escaping or potentially fish leaping out.
AmiJane AmiJane
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 13/11/2019 19:48
Re: Aqua One or Juwel?? #3
Thanks for the response. I’m not that much of a short #OOPS# so the heights would not be an issue (might if I went for the Juwel 200 rather than 110). Have measured the space out etc. Had a lovely 6ft tank at my parents for my cold water tank, unfortunately don’t have that kind of space in my own place.

The lid is another thing that puts me off the Aqua One. Only one light and can’t really seem to find replacements that easily. Juwel stuff you can get anywhere!

Good shout also with the auto feeder - another plus for the Juwel!
AmiJane AmiJane
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 13/11/2019 21:38
Re: Aqua One or Juwel?? #4
Just also done a water hardness lookup, which is showing very hard

CALCIUM 148 mg/l
TOTAL HARDNESS 370 mg/l
Degrees German 20.72
FLUORIDE 0.685 mg/l

Given I was looking at Mollies this would be ok but limits me with other tank mates that I was hoping to get 🙁