« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 9/10 12:04
Re: Fishless cycle is just not working, guidance needed.... #21
Nitrite is being produced and processed then as that's the only way nitrate can rise. With nitrate at 160ppm cycles can stall and the nitrite test can become unreliable so do a very large water change to get nitrate down then dose again with ammonia. If your ammonia is at 0 next day and nitrite is also at 0 your tank is cycled.
Fishyfishfish Fishyfishfish
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 9/10 15:24
Re: Fishless cycle is just not working, guidance needed.... #22
What would I do without your advice lol.

I've retested nitrate and got someone else to look at the results and they reckon it's 80ppm, would you still recommend a water change or leave it alone for now?
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 9/10 15:33
Re: Fishless cycle is just not working, guidance needed.... #23
I'd do a big water change anyway to get it down as it's approaching the "danger" zone, plus if you can get it down it will be easier to read as the API test is a lot clearer under 40ppm. You should more easily see any subsequent rise as well.
Antmatz Antmatz
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 9/10 19:59
Re: Fishless cycle is just not working, guidance needed.... #24
Hi sorry to hijack this thread but the advice on this thread leads me to believe I may need to do a water change, thought I’d jump on this post rather than endless cycle posts.

I’ve stated with a completely sterile tank and started the cycle process following the great guide on here, over 6 weeks or so ago, It took almost 3 weeks before my ammonia started to drop and I started to get nitrite readings. “Great” I thought, halfway there. Feeding every day since using the calculator and bottled ammonia, but nitrites have never dropped since spiking a few weeks ago. The last few days the ammonia reduction has stalled too. At one point it was returning to near 0 from 4ppm daily, but now only dropping about 1ppm?

Tank is a biorb life 60 with plenty of rock media. Temps are steady 26 degrees c.

The only thing I changed was I added 4 smallish live plants around 2 weeks ago. I hope this hasn’t caused any issue?

Nitrates are high, will this be the cause of the stalling?

Happy to create a new post if needed.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 9/10 20:50
Re: Fishless cycle is just not working, guidance needed.... #25
Hi

Firstly, the nitrites will have gone way above what the test kit can register so it may have been dropping, but hadn't come down far enough for you to see a change on the test. If nitrate has risen from your tap water level then nitrite is/has been processed. If your nitrate level is up around 80-100 that can interfere with the nitrite test.

Your cycle sounds like it's stalling so do a large water change as your carbonates (kH) will have fallen as part of the cycling process and if carbonates run out, the bacteria stop working as they need them to process waste. A water change will fix that and reduce the nitrate at the same time, so should allow the cycle to recommence.
Antmatz Antmatz
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 9/10 21:11
Re: Fishless cycle is just not working, guidance needed.... #26
Thanks.

Reading the thread I was sure a water change was necessary, so did about 50% change. Retested and redosed ammonia to around 4ppm. Nitrates have dropped to around 20ppm, which is much better than before. Nitrites were still quite high though, going violet after the 5 minute wait, even after the water change so they must have been high.

Is a further water change recommended to get nitrites down further?
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 9/10 22:14
Re: Fishless cycle is just not working, guidance needed.... #27
No, you need the nitrites to be processed by the bacteria, increasing the size of the bacterial colony so nitrite has to be available for them. It sounds like the cycle is progressing well and I would expect nitrite to fall in the next week.
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • Posted on: 11/10 15:41
Re: Fishless cycle is just not working, guidance needed.... #28
In the end I did a 40% water change, conditioned the water, then re dosed with ammonia. Today the ammonia levels don't seem to have dropped and nitrite still registers as 0ppm. I also did a nitrate test and that looks the same as it did before to be honest so I'm not sure what progress is being made, if any. It seems to be the slowest cycle in the history of tank cycling - a full 24 hours since I dosed the ammonia yet the bacteria don't seem to be consuming it for whatever reason.
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • Posted on: 12/10 8:44
Re: Fishless cycle is just not working, guidance needed.... #29
Quick update - I tested ammonia and nitrite just and ammonia is still showing I’d say between 1&2ppm, whereas nitrite is showing at 0ppm. Nitrite cannot be getting processed because the ammonia would have been consumed by now so has the cycle stalled?
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 12/10 10:00
Re: Fishless cycle is just not working, guidance needed.... #30
What level did you dose the ammonia to?