Anonymous  
Need extra long cable for underwater pump #1
I have a small water feature with fountain at one end. After 15 years I am replacing the original pump which needs to pump water about 1.5m in height. I would prefer to simplify my outdoor electrics so ideally would like the pump to have about 30m of cable then it would reach my outdoor socket. From what I have seen, having had quick look at marketplace, most pumps come with 10m of cable which isn't long enough. This would mean a juntion box and a join to attach another length of cable which, if possible, I would rather avoid.
Does anyone know of any maker of submersible pumps which come with a choice of cable length or one which is 30m rather than what appears to be a standard 10m?
Kind Regards
2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Group: Basic Membership Registered Users
  • Posted on: 3/8 8:00
Re: Need extra long cable for underwater pump #2
The cable that comes with a pump is actually "Flex" (Ok, its "rubber" but it is designed to be used safely underwater) As it is rubber it is only intended to be used in water and connected "locally" to where it will be used. It does not have any mechanical protection. This means that if you were to use such a cable over 30m in your garden, today you know where the cable is, in a few months when digging in your garden you can easily slice through the cable.
What you should do is to install a Steel Wire Armoured cable from your existing socket to the new socket location. As the name implies a SWA cable is not easy to damage or cut and can easily survive being hit with a spade. (The SWA should also be directly buried underground as that is what it is designed for)
Ideally, you should install a complete SWA cable, but you can get "kits" NEVER use "extensions"
If you do not feel confident to do this, then I suggest you get an electrician in to do the job for you, and instead of one socket why not have several to allow for future expansion. (A U.V.C. if required, or some decorative lighting on a timer?)

To directly answer your original question, no manufacturer makes a pond pump with 30m of cable, in years gone by pumps had a 3m of cable then it was decided that all pumps should have a plug fitted and a 10m of cable (Often 3m was a bit too short as you could easily lose the 3m going across the pool floor up the side and then.......)
Anonymous  
Re: Need extra long cable for underwater pump #3
Thanks for your reply. I do have armoured cable in garden going to sockets. The cable (flex if you want) from pump to socket will also be protected. The logic of 10m of cable being safe but 30m isn't safe doesn't ring true for me but never mind, thankyou for your response. Didn't want to start shifting sockets around garden if I could help it. I might try and message some of the pump manufacturers directly.
2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Posted on: 3/8 15:54
Re: Need extra long cable for underwater pump #4
I never said 10m of cable was safe, I said that it was decided that all pumps will come with 10m Of cable and a plug fitted.
You could have 50m of cable if you want, the longer the cable is the more chance you stand of damaging it, that is why you should use SWA cable.
Or on the flip side, if SWA cable was not required why do your sockets have it?

I really do wish you luck asking a pump manufacturer to make you a pump with 30m of cable, they are not allowed to, and also it would be cost prohibative (to you) since they would have to alter an entire production run for just one pump.

I am sorry it is not the answer you were hoping for.
2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Posted on: 6/8 18:25
Re: Need extra long cable for underwater pump #5
I can only assume that the person who asked the question has found out that what I said is actually true and that is why he has deleted his account.

click here