natalietanya natalietanya
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 25/3/2007 17:18
Major Issue with Filter system!!!! #1
Please please please need urgent help with this!!!

Total newbie so hi and thanks to anyone who replies by the way :)

Anyway!! First time i cleaned out the tank today, everything was running smoothly. Then I ran through all the cleaning instructions for my Elite Stingray 15 filter and everything seemed fine.

I cleaned all the foam pads, the cartridges and the impeller. But thats when it led to major problems.

I opened the cap for the impeller well, slowly took out the impeller and gave it a rinse, put everything back together and put the filter back into the tank. When the filter was switched back on its making this awful rattling noise. and upon inspection, the impeller is rattling around like crazy.

I don't understand whats making all this noise or whats caused the impeller to not sit right, but i cant put it back in the tank, as its making a lot of vibration.

I have a freshwater lobster and 2 guppies in the tank at the moment and I dont want to stress them out.

Please, what on earth can i do?!? i need help urgently, i dont want to leave the tank with no filter

Thanks
brun_newbie brun_newbie
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 25/3/2007 17:24
Re: Major Issue with Filter system!!!! #2
take it apart again and refit the parts is all i can suggest
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 25/3/2007 17:29
Re: Major Issue with Filter system!!!! #3
I have done that so many times already... its still making a rattling noise. i didn't force anything apart when i took it all apart to clean, so nothings broken!

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated
fredrick_more fredrick_more
  • Pond Moderator
  • Pond Moderator
  • From Nottinghamshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 25/3/2007 18:07
Re: Major Issue with Filter system!!!! #4
It sounds like theres an air lock in the filter, when its in the water move it around at angle and try upside down to allow the air to go up. Hope that sorts it out.

Welcome to the site by the way
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 25/3/2007 19:56
Re: Major Issue with Filter system!!!! #5
thank u so much for the advice...

okay, i've tried that and a lot of bubbles did come out. it was pretty quite when i was moving it around, but when i put it back into its normal upright position, its still rattling - not as much as before, but its still making a fair bit of noise... considering new filter?! lol!!

Do you think it is just air thats causing this annoyance!?

Oh, and thanks for the welcoming!
fredrick_more fredrick_more
  • Pond Moderator
  • Pond Moderator
  • From Nottinghamshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 25/3/2007 20:32
Re: Major Issue with Filter system!!!! #6
Its my pleasure,

If any filter is rattling, its nearly always due to an air lock. Try leaving the filter upside down running and then moving it around the day after. Also make sure u keep it under water when u move it back to upright.
Lonergan-93 Lonergan-93
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 28/7 23:09
Re: Major Issue with Filter system!!!! #7
Hi, I am also getting this problem since day one of having this filter.
I live in a large shared military accommodation and everyone within it can not stand the rattling due to it being so bad! so I started to just run it in the day and turn it off at night.

6 weeks later and it is still doing it.
Unfortunately this filter will be going straight in to the bin once replaced with a complete different one, but due to the stingray filter clearly advertising itself as a quiet filter on the box I do not trust any.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 29/7 7:40
Re: Major Issue with Filter system!!!! #8
When you get the new filter, move the media from your Stingray into it so you transfer the beneficial bacteria. Without that the tank will need cycling from scratch and your fish will be at risk of ammonia/nitrite poisoning.