cheesecake_08 cheesecake_08
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 26/7 14:37
Missing guppy #1
Hi all, I have a 320 litre tank with 2 pearl gouramis, 2 yo-yo loaches, 6 black phantoms and just this week added 4 male guppies.

Added the guppies Wednesday evening and Thursday morning there were only 3...I've checked the filters and just done a hoover and water change and haven't found it dead anywhere.

Would one of the other fish have eaten it? I have had a look on forums and couldn't find anything to say either the gouramis or the loach would eat a guppy.

Should I move the remaining 3 guppies to another tank on their own or should they be ok?

Another question...what other fish would compliment the tank?

Thanks in advance!
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 26/7 18:32
Re: Missing guppy #2
It's most likely that the guppy died and was eaten afterward unless they were very small guppies. As for adding more fish, really the YoYo's ought to be in a group of 6 and the Black Phantoms would benefit from being in a larger group; shoaling fish always look better in bigger groups.
cheesecake_08 cheesecake_08
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 27/7 10:12
Re: Missing guppy #3
Thank you for your reply. The yo-yos are what came with the tank when I took it over and the others in their group didn't make the move unfortunately.

The yo-yos at the local fish shop are tiny compared to these two, would they be ok to add to the tank?
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 27/7 16:31
Re: Missing guppy #4
They should be OK - loaches are gregarious and highly social so they ought to be fine. I have Clown loaches of varying sizes and they all hang about together in a big group.
Fenris982 Fenris982
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 11/8 16:15
Re: Missing guppy #5
A friend of mine recently lost a guppy.

she searched for two days and it turned up inside the filter housing that covered the impeller... it was just chilling there catching food as it went past. something tells me it would of been more than happy to live its life sat there too lol.

Either its been eaten post dieing or it will turn up. Either way i feel your pain. I'd personally remove the guppies and bulk up the groups of fish you have. Add some yo yo loaches and a few of the phantoms to really let em shine... I'd also identify the gender of your pearls and perhaps add a few more... 1 male to however many females you want really. But thats just me.

Either way, good luck in your search and good luck in your hobby

Regards

Fenris
ScottQ97 ScottQ97
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 16/8 1:29
Re: Missing guppy #6
definitely unfortunately sounds like it was eaten to me, or it died and was eaten, Im sorry for your loss

My 6 guppies are a few months old and just started breeding, I found out after noticing a small fry after doing a water change, put him in a fry container but he died a day later, Since guppies breed insanely fast, I think they were definitely more guppy babies, that unfortunately the parents ate after giving birth to.