Escher64 Escher64
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 24/7 19:06
Second Tank #1
I'm about to start setting up my second tank. I've had to wait a few weeks while some work was carried out in my kitchen. In that time I've had a piece of bogwood and a sponge filter running in my main tank in the hope that they seed with good bacteria. So my question is this; Once I put them in the new tank what next? Do I add a little bit of ammonia to see if it gets processed by the good bacteria? If not what do people suggest I do? Thanks for any comments and advice.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 24/7 19:13
Re: Second Tank #2
There probably won't be much bacteria on the new filter as the total amount is dictated by the bioload of the tank and they're already living in your old filter. Best solution is to take a little of the old filter's media and put it in your new tank's filter. This will seed it with beneficial bacteria. Then proceed with a fishless cycle, which should be shortened quite a bit by the seeding.
Escher64 Escher64
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 24/7 19:33
Re: Second Tank #3
Thanks for the advice. The mature filter is a fluval U3 so not a huge amount of media. Would it be ok to take a quarter for the new tank without compromising the cycle of the main tank?
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 24/7 21:43
Re: Second Tank #4
Yes, but monitor ammonia/nitrite for a few days afterward.
Escher64 Escher64
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 25/7 16:01
Re: Second Tank #5
Ok thanks for the advice. It's much appreciated.